This topic contains 15 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  nobroo 4 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Ih8people
    Participant

I have been having intermittent pain in my back around my right shoulder blade for quite some time now. It’s not exactly preventing me from doing anything but it is uncomfortable and I am aware of it a lot of the time – just a dull ache. It feels like a muscle pain and I can feel a sort of “knot” where the painful area is.
    I’ve never actually seen anyone about it and have mostly been making do with massaging with tennis/golf ball! But I am now getting fed up. Some shoulder / neck stretches hep a wee bit but not massively.
    So, in this position, who would you speak to? Physio, sports massage, osteopath?

Mick
    Participant

I had a seemingly similar pain, I thought it was in my right shoulder blade, in a place where I just couldn’t quite reach. It turned out to be a strain of the muscle between two of my ribs, underneath the shoulder blade. I saw a physio for two intensive sessions on the area, and I revisit her periodically for maintenance sports massages.

jam
    Participant

I use a Chiropractor, he manipulates my back and then massages the muscles. I always feel much better after a treatment! My Problem is muscle too, but when the muscle goes into spasm it does pull my spine slightly out too.

cam
    Participant

As someone who has probably used everyone, I do find it does depend on the practitioner a lot, a good physio who is willing to get hands on, move me a bout, and had some posh kit was the best option for me, unfortunately the best one I found lives a long way away from me now, I make do with a combination of chiro and sports therapy at the moment, the former just because it is 5 mins from work so easy!

Niles
    Participant

In my case-sports massage sorted it out, also had a steroid shot for an impingement but also had something similar to what you describe prior to that. I am very one sided (or I was) thought lots of manual work etc which brought it on. I had massages monthly for about 6 months, job done. wouldn’t ever use a chiro.

troll
    Participant

… So, in this position, who would you speak to? Physio, sports massage, osteopath?

My GP.

Ih8people
    Participant

@troll Have they been useful in your experience? I just assumed a GP visit would equal a referral to physio and a long waiting list. I can go privately to physio anyway, if that seems to be a sensible course of action. But if it is wiser to go to GP first, then of course I’d do that.

oldguy
    Participant

If you want to go NHS a lot of areas you can self refer to physio.

However, In all my years of issues I have never had a good result from one, other than the fits of laughter at a suggestion to do dusting…
    GPs have only ever been disappointing and handed out anti inflammatories too.

Ih8people
    Participant

Thanks all for your feedback, some varied opinions (which is to be expected I suppose!).

I’m a bit dubious about chiros to be honest, my work buddy uses one but it only ever seems to fix the symptoms and never gets to the crux of the issue. Plus her chiro refers to themself as “Doctor” which I find very misleading… anyway…

I think the physio / GP & physio route will be the way to go

mo
    Participant

I had a phone appointment with my GP who agreed that my shoulder pain might be quickest dealt with by going to see a physio privately. I am with Medicare, so I can claim back some medical treatment costs.

i agree with who ever suggested that a good practitioner of any sort is the best. If it doesn’t look like your first choice is working, try someone else.

Ih8people
    Participant

@mo That sounds really sensible, thanks!

I actually go to Pilates weekly and my instructor is a physio. I meant to discuss the issue with her this week, but it slipped my mind as I was in a rush. So I have contacted her for some advice. I am insured through work so could claim back some of the costs

oldguy
    Participant

I would definitely agree with your chiro assessment, of course for some people symptom treatment is the best option, essentially I just use them so it hurts less for a bit when it gets really bad.

ps physio pilates instructors are fab

Ih8people
    Participant

@oldguy Fair point about treating the symptoms! Though work buddy goes every 2 weeks or so and is sometimes in more pain after, seems odd to me but I’ve no personal experience of it, so maybe the gains are better than the losses.

Pilates instructor is really good and hands on, so hopefully she’s the same as a physio. She’s very correct and professional, I really like her.

nobroo
    Participant

I discovered that my sore shoulder was quite severe arthritis. I think it is best to get checked out just in case one goes to a physio/chiropractor/osteopath and they make things worse unintentionally.

Ih8people
    Participant

@nobroo Goodness that’s bad luck, hope it doesn’t trouble you too much now. I bloody hope it isnt arthritis, I’m not even 30 yet but I suppose it’s a possibility!

nobroo
    Participant

@ih8people It’s unlikely to be arthritis at your age, but (as you say) it could be! There are all sorts of things which can be wrong with a shoulder (or any joint) and it is better to get a GP to have a look and advise whether to go for treatment elsewhere or arrange an x ray or whatever.

My left shoulder (and right knee, both ankles, and right wrist) play up every so often. It doesn’t help that I am hypermobile.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.