This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  doormat 3 months ago.

• Author

katy
    Participant

Does anyone have an Android TV box that they’d recommend? Must have the following features…

Able to change the launcher from the abysmal standard Android TV one (leanback I think it’s called). Would preferably just like a standard Android phone type launcher.
    Runs iPlayer, All4, Netflix etc smoothly and without lag (given a good , fast network connection of course).
    My telly is 1080p so 4K not a requirement (but also not a problem)
    Has (or supports) an air mouse remote
    Has an ethernet port

It’s an absolute minefield out there – so many boxes and they all seem to have different issues with them. Any advice hugely appreciated.

callum
    Participant

Why buy something that will just spy on you?

mel
    Participant

I take it the TV doesn’t have “Smart” functions, as on my TV this stuff all just works (via Web OS).

Interested though as my TV in the shed could do with an android stick thingamy.

troll
    Participant

Why Don’t You Just Switch Off Your Television Set and Go Out and Do Something Less Boring Instead

EricPoints
    Participant

We use a chromecast and then your phone becomes the UI.

katy
    Participant

@ericpoints Good call – Unfortunately AFAIK the Chromecast doesn’t have an ethernet port, and Wifi in my front room tends to be a bit patchy.

logi
    Participant

Was looking at this recently as I moved away from Kodi on a raspberry pi and struggled to find an option that covered everything I want. In the end I went for the basic Roku streaming stick, which does comes complete with its own remote. I’ve been pleased with it, runs smoothly and is user friendly.

WiFi only, but if you’ve got an Ethernet connection, adding a wi-fi access point is fairly low cost and will greatly increase your options for the tv.

SAFFY
    Participant

The Nvidia Shield TV generally seems to be quite highly regarded and I think it ticks all your boxes. It’s pricey, though. It’s designed to be capable of running games so if you’re not interested in that then you’re paying for unwanted capability.

You could probably pick up the 2015 version for cheap on eBay. I think the important internal parts were largely similar and it would still do everything you need very capably.

katy
    Participant

@saffy I thought that too.

On paper it looked fantastic so I bought one, but although the hardware was great, the front end was unbelievably bad, and VERY locked-down. They’d basically taken the already awful leanback launcher, made it worse, then made it impossible to change other than in very minor ways.

You’d think you could just change the launcher, but no – that’s disabled, even via ADB.

I ended up returning it in the end. Shame as it could’ve been absolutely perfect.

Crud
    Participant

@logi Out of interest why did you switch from Kodi to Roku?

I have a Roku but I’m currently building a RasPi solution. Partly so I can record live TV, but also because the Roku is so unbearably slow and laggy that I sometimes just give up and read a book instead.

logi
    Participant

@crud Kodi is great for local media, ok for iplayer and itvplayer but useless for Amazon video/Netflix/4oD. Initially I enjoyed mucking around adding new features, but eventually (after about 4 years) got to a point where I wanted something that just worked. Have been very pleased with the Roku so far, mine is quick to respond and intuitive enough for my wife and kids to use it without needing a tutorial from me.

Crud
    Participant

@logi Thanks. I didn’t realise Kodi was no good for Amazon and Netflix. Maybe I will rethink.

Roku is just so slow though.

doormat
    Participant

Roku is just so slow though.

@crud That’s never been my experience, even with quite an old Roku box, and reviews don’t generally seem to complain about speed issues. I think your experience might not be a general problem with Roku. If nothing else, they’ve produced quite a range of products over the years.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.