This topic contains 9 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  katy 2 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

katy
    Participant

Which type of fire extinguisher would be recommended for a domestic kitchen? Main risks are frying pans flaring up, and the cooker isn’t close enough to the back door to take the pan outside. Would like it to deal with burning fat, electrical stuff and the wood burner (solids fuels). Powder or water mist? Have a fire blanket already. Thanks.

oldguy
    Participant

Dry powder. You can’t use water in any form on oil fires, and CO2 can just blow lightweight burning stuff around the place.

Edit: it seems from a bit of Googling that this “water mist” type is a new development which is good for oil fires unlike regular water…may be worthy of investigation. So I’m no help really!

kevster
    Participant

Surely not having a chip pan fire is best?

Oil based stuff, fire blanket and 999. Wet chemical isn’t really a domestic unit.

Powder makes such a mess, and makes exit difficult, but if you’re sure you want it then do so.

Water is not any good for burning liquids, foam is the same for chip fat as it burns so hot it burns off the foam additive.

Ask yourself the question if the chip pan goes up beyond a few seconds, can you safely deal with it? Probably not. Call 999 and get out. If you’re asking these questions, then do you know enough to use whatever extinguisher you go with?

Again, why not just do away with the deep fat fryer? Or find a way of cooking as such without the high risks?

Dave perry
    Participant

Old school for chip pans was a wet tea towel thrown over it.

robert
    Participant

Insurance policies for takeaways with fryers always specify wet chemical extinguishers and non-combustible blankets. Never seen wet chemical in a domestic property, mind. Personally, I would make sure I have what my policy requires but in the event of a fire….. just escape.

Ali
    Participant

My advice to you would be to never ever buy any fire extinguishers or any fire safety items from ebay or amazon! There are so many fake on those sites. Even though they maybe cheap and even look like the genuine things they will not be the same and will fail fire safety tests. I have a friend who bought a fire blanket from amazon when he tried extinguishing a chip pan fire with the blanket it didn’t work and it burnt both of his arms quite badly.

benny
    Participant

I put out an oven fire with a powder extinguisher once. It turned out to be a lump of carbonised something stuck behind a baffle plate in the oven that caught fire. There was one hell of a mess everywhere from the extinguisher afterwards. I had to run out to my car to get it – this thread reminds me – neither the car nor the kitchen have an extinguisher any longer (just Chubb fire blankets). I must fix that.

doormat
    Participant

Kitchen fires can be caused by other things. Like benny my oven went up and I managed to put it out with a dry powder from my van. We now keep one in the kitchen. It took me about 2 minutes to put it out and the fire brigade 4 minutes from the call to get to us but not everyone lives less than a mile from the fire station. In the very short time the fire was burning it had started to char the kitchen cabinets and the table and chairs that were a meter away. With the reduction in fire stations I don’t know the average responses time but I would rather nip a small fire in the bud than risk losing my house and possessions. Dry powder makes a right mess and too hours to clean up but hopefully you will never need to deploy it and if you do the clean up is worth it.

flyguy
    Participant

It’s important to keep your toaster clean and free from crumbs which stick to the elements and can catch fire. I have just such a fire (fortunately minor, although it set off the smoke alarms) last week when a bit of of sultana from a previously toasted hot cross bun caught fire. I wasn’t in the room and was alerted by the alarms. It produced a surprisingly large flame.

katy
    Participant

Thanks everyone for your replies, of varying usefulness! Yes it would be great to avoid a fire in the first place, that’s obvious…

@doormat, you’re lucky being only a couple of minutes from the fire station! I don’t even know where my closest one is. At least 10 minutes away. The wet tea towel has been the only option so far, but I’ve replaced that with a fire blanket and feel better for it.

I don’t use a deep fat fryer (not sure where that idea came from earlier?) or toaster, so safe in that respect. Still, it’s something I want on hand just in case, for the wood burner as well. As two people have shown above it can be worth having – that’s enough reason for me. It would have been a simple choice for powder/foam, but the DI water mist is a new one to me. I can understand it working on electrical fires, but not sure about fat. It seems like it’s viable though… Based on this I think I’m settled on water mist, unless I hear any advice against it.

https://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/water-mist-extinguishers/

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.