This topic contains 14 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  robert 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

oldman
    Participant

I’ve got to have cataract surgery. Anyone had this done?

How long does recovery take? How quickly did you get back to driving? How long to get back to normal?

Mick
    Participant

Not had it but I believe it’s quite quick, maybe circa 30mins.
    https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/cataract-surgery/

oldman
    Participant

Not had it but I believe it’s quite quick, maybe circa 30mins.

So I understand, but it’s speed of post op recovery that concerns me.

Mick
    Participant

So I understand, but it’s speed of post op recovery that concerns me.

I had something which I think was not quite as routine as catarct and the surgeon said I was ok to drive about two-three weeks later.

sar
    Participant

@oldman Expect to be driving again within a few days. Is this what you’ve been advised? What’s made you worried about recovery?

sar
    Participant

Are you having a normal (distance) lens implant?

oldman
    Participant

@sar No details yet. Saw consultant during week who said he was putting me on the waiting list, so no date yet, he thought probably about 3 months. Concerning recovery, I was looking at the NHS site which advises against hard physical exercise for a few weeks?. I suppose I’m concerned about booking any holiday in case it falls too soon after the op and I’m not able to enjoy it.

It’s come as a bit of a shock, as on maximal medical topical therapy, and IOP’s (?) “creeping up” and right showing “field progression”? He’s recommended “Right cyclodiode (endo), phacoemulsification + IOL (1steye) under LA” whatever that means!? Then “cataract surgery to the other eye following surgery to the right eye, if this is desired by the patient”

sar
    Participant

No details yet. Saw consultant during week who said he was putting me on the waiting list, so no date yet, he thought probably about 3 months. Concerning recovery, I was looking at the NHS site which advises against hard physical exercise for a few weeks?. I suppose I’m concerned about booking any holiday in case it falls too soon after the op and I’m not able to enjoy it.

Tricky to time a holiday around for sure. Most people are fine in a few days, but you’d want to leave a few weeks before going on holiday just in case there’s any complication.

It’s come as a bit of a shock, as on maximal medical topical therapy, and IOP’s (?) “creeping up” and right showing “field progression”?

Ah OK, so it’s cataract surgery with some new procedure tacked on to deal with glaucoma, rather than for the sake of removing the cataract. So they’ve tried all the drops but the pressure (Intra Ocular Pressure, IOP) is still a bit high and there is a detectable effect on the visual field of the right eye, i.e. some patches of your peripheral vision aren’t as sensitive as they should be and the progression of this is what needs to be stopped (the effect on the field hasn’t stabalised with drops alone).

He’s recommended “Right cyclodiode (endo), phacoemulsification + IOL (1steye) under LA” whatever that means!?

The cyclodiode bit I don’t really understand, but it’s something being done to a bit of your eye called the ciliary body (this produces the aqueous humor that’s causing the pressure (IOP) to be too high, which is effecting the function of the optic nerve and causing the changes to your visual field). Presumably it’ll reduce the rate of aqueous production, bringing the pressure down. The “phacoemulsification + IOL (1steye) under LA” is just normal cataract surgery on your “1st eye” under local anesthetic (LA), getting rid of the old lens and putting a plastic lens implant (an intra ocular lens, IOL) in its place. Which’ll be great as it’ll be lovely and clear unlike a natural one that eventually goes all brown and cloudy (cataract).

Then “cataract surgery to the other eye following surgery to the right eye, if this is desired by the patient”

See how it goes. If it’s a breeze you might want to get the other one done soon as you can, as then you’ll have 2 very similar eyes with nice clear, hopefully perfectly focused, plastic lenses. Depends on lots of factors whether you’ll want to leave it or get the 2nd eye done straight after. Can be annoying if after having a first cataract done the 2 eyes end up very different.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  sar.

oldman
    Participant

@sar Thank you very much, that’s really helpful and I appreciate it!

ricky
    Participant

Best of luck. Most people are surprised by how quick and easy the whole thing is.

Had my right eye done a month ago. Doesn’t hurt, over before you know it, you get a nice clear eyepatch to go home in, which you only wear to sleep in for the first week. Eye drops 4x per day for 3 weeks. I was driving two days later, playing golf a week after the op. You just need to be a bit careful and use your common sense. In short – one of the best things I’ve ever done, and I can’t wait to have my left eye done.

Dave perry
    Participant

Mrs P had it done. Total recovery in a day or two at the most (bandage off after day one).. No big deal really. Amazing recovery of sight!!

Mike w
    Participant

Dad had his done this year. Was driving after a few days. I had to chaperone him from the hospital but in all honesty he was fine.

Two oddities.
    – His eyesight suddenly went a bit weird for about a week about a fortnight after the op and then went back to normal as quickly as it happened.
    – The opticians made a hash of his new glasses prescription. Multiple attempts to fix it. This may be a dad thing though.

All good now though, he thought the results were great.

nomad
    Participant

I had cataracts taken out of both eyes 3 years ago. In both cases I was driving within 24 hours of the operation which were a week apart. What a relief it was to get them removed. Local aneasthtic only, and a few days of eye drops to stop infection.
    I was back out running after a week.

smith
    Participant

The cyclodiode bit I don’t really understand, but it’s something being done to a bit of your eye called the ciliary body (this produces the aqueous humor that’s causing the pressure (IOP) to be too high, which is effecting the function of the optic nerve and causing the changes to your visual field). Presumably it’ll reduce the rate of aqueous production, bringing the pressure down. The “phacoemulsification + IOL (1steye) under LA” is just normal cataract surgery on your “1st eye” under local anesthetic (LA), getting rid of the old lens and putting a plastic lens implant (an intra ocular lens, IOL) in its place. Which’ll be great as it’ll be lovely and clear unlike a natural one that eventually goes all brown and cloudy (cataract).

@sar he needs to have phacoemulsicfication (standard cataract surgery) in order for the Diode endolaser to have access to the ciliary processes of the ciliary body in order to ablate a proportion of them, and thereby reduce the intraocular pressure by the right amount. You may not have needed the lens surgery otherwise, unless you actually have a cataract in that eye. So the laser is channelled inside eye to the level of the lens capsule and then directed outwards at the ciliary body
    The Diode laser has been used previously to similarly destroy part of the circular structure of the ciliary body, but directed through the sclera, which was less well directed, and was measured from the limbus(the area where the sclera(white of the eye) meets the clear part(cornea), and was sometimes done until a “pop” could be heard.
    This procedure(endolaser) is being done in dogs for treating glaucoma, but the results are somewhat ambiguous. I get the impression that it has not fully taken over in human ophthalmology either. I would ask the question of objective evaluation of this technique of the consultant. Being cited one paper’s results are not sufficient either.
    I would also not be so quick to head back to the hills, without having more of a discussion with the consultant, as this is not down to just cataract surgery.

See how it goes. If it’s a breeze you might want to get the other one done soon as you can, as then you’ll have 2 very similar eyes with nice clear, hopefully perfectly focused, plastic lenses. Depends on lots of factors whether you’ll want to leave it or get the 2nd eye done straight after. Can be annoying if after having a first cataract done the 2 eyes end up very different.

@oldman You obviously need to talk to the consultant in a greater degree to determine the best approach for you

robert
    Participant

I’ve had cataracts removed from both eyes recently. Surgery was over in probably 15-20 minutes. Not painful. No bending face down or anything strenuous for a few weeks – not worth it in case you cause damage. Watch out for your car insurance though. I was totally confused by everyone’s stories (next day to three months!) so spoke to my insurance company direct. They didn’t need anything from me, but asked me to ensure that a professional confirm that my vision was up to legal driving standard before driving or cover could be invalid in the event of an accident. My first op left me a wee bit unbalanced, but I felt ok to drive after a week or so and had my optician do another eye test to confirm I was legal again. Good luck.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.