This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  dizzy 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

flyguy
    Participant

I sold a collectible doll on eBay a few days ago. I was due to post it, but on the morning of post day, the buyer opened an ‘item not received’ claim, and requested a refund. I paid for an upgraded posting service, and sent the item Special Delivery in order for it to arrive the next day, and to get insurance (item is worth £65), and the tracking number needed for the ‘not received’ claim.

Once I updated the claim with the tracking number, I got an irate message from the buyer asking why I’d posted, saying that they didn’t need the item any more, because the ‘time window’ for needing it had passed(?). Sure enough, the Special Delivery tracking shows that the item hadn’t been delivered, because it was turned away at the door, and so will be on it’s way back to me.

I think it sounds a lot like buyer’s regret, and the ‘not received’ claim was opened because the only other options for refunding are if the item is broken/not as described. Only now I’m not sure what my responsibilities are. The buyer might say that they don’t want the item, but their case is for ‘item not received’, and the tracking number clearly shows the item being posted, travelling, arriving, and being turned away – does this class as ‘not received’, if the buyer won’t accept the parcel?

Paypal is currently holding the £65 that the buyer paid, until the case is resolved through eBay. Thoughts?

EmmaS
    Participant

How many days until you posted it? Not sure what you meant by ‘post day’.

songbird
    Participant

Were you within the estimated delivery time? I am presuming so. Even if it has passed ebay say you should contact the seller first. I’d like to say ebay will side with you but, well they like buyers.

josh
    Participant

I’m slightly confused as to to why you posted after seeing they’d filed a claim. If the item has come back to you I think you’ll just need to refund the money. Ebay certainly do like buyers. I’ll never use it again after my last experience selling a saddle. There are some really unhinged buyers out there and the system always seems to go in their favour.
    You could always relist or try Preloved or a FB site.

Mick
    Participant

I sold a coat on Ebay this week and as soon as the auction ended, the buyer contacted me to say she didn’t mean to put in the last bid (the one that won) and could she have the coat for £10 less which she meant to be her maximum bid. I genuinely believed she had make an honest mistake but the cost would then be barely worth selling for me. So I pushed her a bit and she eventually agreed to pay the full amount, I felt a bit bad though. I had sold the coat to pay for another one which I bought on Ebay, and that still hasn’t arrived a week after the estimated delivery date. Ebay is tricky sometimes but I find it is the best market for selling.

In your case, if you posted within the estimated delivery dates then I would submit the case to Ebay and see what they say, there is a chance they might support you. If it was over the dates, then I would refund her and put it down to experience. I find that its best to keep your feedback healthy on Ebay, even if it means missing the odd sale.

ben
    Participant

I’m confused as well as to why you posted after the buyer has clearly shown itself as a PITA.

I would say, ebay’s response would be “have you received you item back? yes? then refund the buyer and *likely* suck the postage up”.
    Re postage, I don’t know if there is a room to wiggle and probably worth asking ebay.

flyguy
    Participant

The claim was submitted after the sale, within my postage window, and as it was an ‘item not received’ claim, I posted anyway (with tracking as proof of postage) with the impression that the buyer couldn’t push for ‘not received’ if the item was correctly tracked.

I just don’t know if they can continue to push for a refund as ‘not received’, when the tracking clearly shows them rejecting the item at delivery. Ebay says it’s my turn to respond to the buyer’s message that the item is on the way back, but my only options are to either submit another tracking number, give a refund, or message the buyer back. Not exactly helpful, looks like I’ll end up having to refund anyway, once the item gets back.

ben
    Participant

@flyguy I see!

You can only open a dispute if the item has not arrived in the time you have stated on your listing. They opened the ‘item not received’ dispute as at that time they had not received the item. You shouldn’t have posted it after the dispute was opened as you have just cost yourself the postage money. You should refund the buyer.

mo
    Participant

I can’t help with the posting after the item not received claim but I did find out to my cost that the responsibility for the item is the sellers until the buyer has signed for it. I sold a car part which was sent by next day courier tracked which had threee failed delivery attempts and then was returned to me. I found out on contacting ebay that the responsibility was mine for the courier costs and I had to come to an agreement with the buyer for redelivery costs. I’m not sure if I would have had to stand the redelivery costs as buyer said they were no longer wanted the item! I had to give a full refund including the delivery costs which were £20, and the same value as the item. So if the buyer doesn’t sign for the parcel you have to give a full refund. I haven’t listed anything on ebay since!

smartarse
    Participant

Wait until the parcel come back and just refund.

flyguy
    Participant

Wait until the parcel come back and just refund.

Yep, this. You will have to refund the money as the buyer doesn’t have the goods. Even if they’re a total PITA, they can’t be expected to pay for something they haven’t got.

I’ve had a pretty good relationship with e-bay apart from one incident with a set of dog clippers. Buyer reckoned they were damaged in post and even sent me a picture. They must have been trampled by a herd of elephants to be THAT damaged!! I didn’t see the point in asking for them back. Even if you think you’re being scammed, you just have to suck it up and do a full refund. E-bay will always side with the buyer.

mary
    Participant

I disagree that ebay always sides with the buyer, as in my experience with a dodgy seller, they sided totally with him.

In this instance OP I think I’d just refund the money, but it does seem ridiculous that a buyer can effectively change their mind after the contract is made, when you have done your part.

ratface
    Participant

When you saw the ‘item not received’ claim you should not have posted it. The buyer can only open a not received case after a certain period of none receipt. It would have been better to contact the buyer and discuss.
    I think you will need to accept the item back, contact eBay accordingly and swallow the loss of postage.
    Ebay will most likely side with the buyer re item not received and automatically issue them with a full refund inc postage.
    I believe you will be refunded your selling fees, but do check with eBay.
    Ebay will have given both buyer and seller the dates the case needs to be resolved by before they ‘step in’.

dizzy
    Participant

Keep messaging the buyer and see if you can get them to admit to changing their mind and turning the parcel away. The dispute messages are taken into account when deciding who to side with. I’m not sure if it still works like this, its been a long time since I was involved with a dispute on ebay, but it used to be that after a certain period of time has elapsed (7days I think) either you or the buyer can choose to escalate the dispute to eBay, if its currently under that timescale the option won’t be there.

Unless you’re a business, don’t worry about your feedback (and lots of businesses don’t worry either, especially those who sell cheap and high volume items, not caring if a percentage of their customers are ripped off and leave negative feedback), eBay only take the feedback percentage from the past 3 months anyway, so after this time you’ll have 100% or 0% again, can’t remember which. Lots of buyers don’t look beyond the percentage when deciding who to buy from. The negative feedback will still show on your page, but you can ask for it to be removed by eBay under certain circumstances. If those circumstances don’t apply, you have the option to “reply to feedback”, though it may not be worth bothering (depends what the feedback says) because it adds yet another red dot to your page (visually making your page look worse, though not affecting your feedback percentage) and the buyer gets the final opportunity to reply to your reply.

There is/was a phone number for ebay too, if they side with the buyer initially it could be worth talking to a human and asking if they’d reconsider. You may as well fight your corner every way you can, before you chalk it up as a loss.

Also agree with others who have said don’t sell to people who’ve proved themselves a PITA (because you’ll probably get negative feedback whatever you do with that type of buyer, so you may as well hold onto your money/item and not lose that too). Be aware of the latest rules regarding postage. There used to be a 7 day window for postage after buyer has paid, not sure that still applies, people expect a 24/7 service these days and many buyers will treat everyone as if they’re a business regardless of reality and will leave negative feedback for anyone not behaving like a business would. So if you’re precious about red dots on a web page in cyberspace perhaps don’t sell on eBay.

Feedback should only ever be used as a guide anyway, as there’s absolutely nothing to stop a person having multiple eBay accounts. So a 100% feedback, no-red-dots-on-their-page seller could in reality be anything but. This works in your favour if the feedback this buyer leaves is particularly nasty and can’t be removed, and you want to start a new account.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.