This topic contains 11 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  kal 4 months, 2 weeks ago.

• Author

helen
    Participant

Hi I’ve been to the doctors about my left foot which is really sore on the top of my foot with pain and pins and needles extending to my big toe and pain along my Achilles tendon (like when you knock your funny bone type pain which makes me feel sick) and also soreness in my calf. I googled it and the results came back as extensor tendonitis and the doctor agreed after examination.Her opinion was to ice it and rest it and take anti inflammatories which I already do anyway for back pain. I am also doing some exercises which I have googled for this condition.

Sometimes when sitting on the sofa in the evening I get up and I am nearly non weight bearing on that foot due to the immense pain, but then minutes later when I am walking the pain subsides to almost nothing.I’ve also noticed that I am putting more weight onto the outside of the foot, I expect this is a way of over compensating due to the pain.

I am not sure whether I should strap it up or whether this will cause more damage as its thought that you get this injury from over tightened laces on shoes. I have made sure the laces on my shoes are not too tight by changing the way they are laced up so no pressure is over the tendon. I can’t rest my foot as I work full time.

Has anyone else had this? How long did it take to heal? Any tips? Thank you for your help.

pat
    Participant

yes i had this back in october, it was caused by me being away on holiday and walking round in bare feet all day then going out in the evening in completely flat sandals. You have my sympathies because it was absolutely bloody agony and exactly as you said, when I got up from sitting i was almost non weight bearing!!

I saw my physio about it as i see her every 2 weeks for a back issue anyway. She advised not to strap it up but to ice it as often as i could and take ibuprofen. She also gave me a couple of ultra sound sessions on it which helped hugely. I also bought a pair of orthopaedic shoes and insoles from a place called nuovahealth and wore them constantly round the house. For me, it was worse when i was barefoot and the foot had no support from a shoe. Mine lasted about 4-6 weeks before it was totally gone.

pat
    Participant

Thanks ever so much for your reply! I might see if I can get something to wear around the house and see if that makes a difference. Sometimes when I’m just walking it will suddenly ‘go’ and its so painful, walking outside today and it hurt hugely! I only ice it once a day in the evening so might try and do it more, in the morning before going to work for example.

don
    Participant

I have had foot problems in the last couple of years, although not the same as you, and I also can’t bear walking barefoot. I have Birkenstocks and Fitflops for home and Fitflop shoes for work; when I got them problems that had been hanging around without improvement for six months were brought under control and only give me gip now if I start walking around in my socks at home or wear unsuitable shoes for work. Also, if the recommended exercises involve stretching off a step, you might want to look at getting or making a slant board (mine’s sort of polystyrene) as stretching on a step was making mine worse, but the board really helps. A podiatrist is going to be the person who can really help you.

helen
    Participant

Also, if the recommended exercises involve stretching off a step, you might want to look at getting or making a slant board (mine’s sort of polystyrene) as stretching on a step was making mine worse, but the board really helps. A podiatrist is going to be the person who can really help you.

Aha – I see what a slant board is now. I only chucked and old one of those out the other day at work, the type that typists use to put their feet on, that would probably have done it! Typical. Like you say easy enough to make up.I think part of the problem is that my calves are tight, the one is more over developed that the other, I know that from trying on zipped up long riding boots! so that will help most definitely, thank you.

don
    Participant

Yes tight calves are a real problem for me. They are so tight at first when I stand on the board I don’t feel anything and takes a while before the stretch kicks in. Hope it clears up soon!

sar
    Participant

I had this about 5 years ago from running in the wrong trainers and it was agony. The only thing I’ll say that helped along side some exercises for it was acupuncture – I had two sessions a week on it for a few months and although expensive, it really worked.

helen
    Participant

I was wondering if acupuncture might work. I’ve had plantar fasciitis and thought that was bad enough but this is ten times worse pain!

stew
    Participant

I have something like this but on the other side of my foot, Its from the underneath of my little toe down the outside edge and into my ankle, it’s constant agony and when standing I can hardly weight bare.

ricky
    Participant

I have suffered from really bad foot pain over the years but I’ve had some good results ankle and foot wise with therapeutic ultrasound.

• This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  ricky.
    • This reply was modified 4 months, 3 weeks ago by  utterz.

helen
    Participant

I have suffered from really bad foot pain over the years but I’ve had some good results ankle and foot wise with therapeutic ultrasound.

@ricky My friend is a physio and she suggested that. Something else to look into. I’ve found some heel supports that I must have bought as spares when I had plantar fasciitis and I’ve put those in my shoes this morning and that seems to have helped but its early still so I will see if they can offer me some help. I think my arches are quite low.

I have something like this but on the other side of my foot, Its from the underneath of my little toe down the outside edge and into my ankle, it’s constant agony and when standing I can hardly weight bare.

@stew I went to a sports injury clinic about my plantar fascitits when I first had it on recommendation of a friend and that helped. I might see if I can get an appointment to see about this suspensory tendonitis.I think their are a few tendons along the foot so it might be that you have strained one. Trouble is you can overcompensate then in other areas and that’s when it leads to problems along the line.

kal
    Participant

You might want to try a pair of orthotic insoles if you don’t already have some in your shoes. I have flat feet which makes me more susceptible to foot pain and problems but simply putting pair of orthotic insoles inside my shoes (don’t need to be too expensive at all I wear some £9.99 arch support insoles I got online) and they really helped a lot and I no longer suffer nowhere near as bad as I used to.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.