This topic contains 12 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  EmmaS 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

howard
    Participant

Latest Forbes Top Country list shows the UK going downhill err got it wrong, going uphill having been promoted from 6th place to 1st place as the worlds best place for doing business.
    Strange eh!
    https://www.forbes.com/best-countries-for-business/list/#tab:overall

sar
    Participant

Extremely strange because on each of the three metrics on their table GDP growth, GDP per capita, Trade balance the UK was nowhere near the best.

#1 United Kingdom 1.8% $39,900 -4.4%
    #3 Netherlands 2.2% $45,300 8.5%

Maybe the rankings are complete clickbait bollocks?

troll
    Participant

The methodology isn’t very clear. From the article* that goes with the list:

“We determined the Best Countries for Business by rating 153 nations on 15 different factors including property rights, innovation, taxes, technology, corruption, freedom (personal, trade and monetary), red tape and investor protection. Each category was equally weighted.

We tweaked our methodology this year for the first time in a decade after conversations with multiple site-selection experts. Stock market performance is out, and we added workforce, infrastructure, market size, quality of life and political risk to provide a better gauge of how attractive a country is for capital investment.”

Looks fairly subjective and hand-wavey (“quality of life”) to me. The article has a link to a page that is supposed to explain the numbers in more detail, but it doesn’t really do that.

sammy
    Participant

A historically very stable country in a very bad negotiating position with a libertarian government in charge?

howard
    Participant

Yes it is really sad.
    I didn’t vote for or against BREXIT but I also get sad when it seems that many people would rather see the UK fail instead of supporting the government in making it a success.

And for those who seem to think that another referendum should be made because both side made some exaggerated claims, be aware that on this basis every UK general election would have to be regarded as null and void !!

sar
    Participant

Yes it is really sad.
    I didn’t vote for or against BREXIT but I also get sad when it seems that many people would rather see the UK fail instead of supporting the government in making it a success.

And for those who seem to think that another referendum should be made because both side made some exaggerated claims, be aware that on this basis every UK general election would have to be regarded as null and void !!

Nobody I’ve seen on here wants to see the UK fail, you’ve made that up (i’d say you’ve lied but I’m clearly too polite), people want to know why brexit will be better for the UK than being in the eu.
    Did you bother to read the article behind your link? Including this “Britain’s reign as the top country could be brief as companies’ plans for Brexit unfold. London might lose 10,000 banking jobs as a result of Brexit, according to think tank Bruegel. Citigroup, Morgan Stanley, Nomura and Standard Charter are moving their EU headquarters to Frankfurt, with Paris and Dublin landing spots for other banks looking to ensure access to the single market.” .

katy
    Participant

@howard I’m not sure what I can do to make it a success. No-one has said what that successful outcome is at a level I could actually plan for. Especially now any definition of success seems to be “shittier than it was before but nowhere near as bad as it might have been”.

fred
    Participant

@howard It is worth reading article in full – particularly the penultimate paragraph. So basically we can summarise the article as “our predictions for 2018 (before UK leaves the EU) – very good. After UK leaves single market and Brexit becomes real – not so good”.

Of course this may still be pessimistic, since the terms of May’s “phase 1” deal means that if we don’t get an Irish Border solution before the leave date, we’re staying in the single market until we do.

pete
    Participant

personally I’ve been happy to have been in a country that is a member of the EU, imperfect though it may be and have been extremely happy to be an EU citizen. How do you expect me to be happy to be stripped of ehat I’ve known all my adult life and something for which I voted on the first occasion I was able to vote.

Bugger Brexit I do want that to fail as it is treason, but only because I think we’re better in. Stop lying that wanting Brexit to fail is wanting Britain to fail – youse your own mind and stop parrotting the rubbish spouted by the main traitors

pete
    Participant

worth noting Forbes doesn’t write about countries that are good for the population but ones that are good for buccaneer businessmen or investors not necessarily living there!

Plus it is describing Britain now, not as it finds it in 2 years as it does not know what we’ll be like unless we’re following an American plan.

sammy
    Participant

Bugger Brexit I do want that to fail as it is treason, but only because I think we’re better in. Stop lying that wanting Brexit to fail is wanting Britain to fail – youse your own mind and stop parrotting the rubbish spouted by the main traitors

Traitorous to whom?
    It can’t be traitorous to the UK because the people of the UK have decided by democratic process to leave the EU.
    As for Brexit itself, it’s happening and if you want to needlessly bandy around such emotive terms as treason/traitor, then they would probably be best aimed at a Government that decided to ignore the results of the referendum.
    I voted Remain, but have accepted the fact that we’re leaving the EU and hope Brexit means that the UK is better for it.

nutter
    Participant

Those who want negatives will always seek them out, misery loves company.

EmmaS
    Participant

Traitorous to whom?
    It can’t be traitorous to the UK because the people of the UK have decided by democratic process to leave the EU.
    As for Brexit itself, it’s happening and if you want to needlessly bandy around such emotive terms as treason/traitor, then they would probably be best aimed at a Government that decided to ignore the results of the referendum.
    I voted Remain, but have accepted the fact that we’re leaving the EU and hope Brexit means that the UK is better for it.

The actions of Messrs Johnson, Gove etc. plus those who want to turn Britain into a neoliberal, low regulation hellhole, strike me as… not quite treasonous, but certainly much closer to that than those who have been clearly pro-remain all along.

Besides that, apart from the actual act of voting, I can’t think of a single other aspect of the referendum that could be described as a “democratic process”. For many, it seems, that alone is sufficient.

All we have is a blind hope that things turn out for the best. I hope they do too, but I don’t expect it. And I’m not keen on sacrificing my generation’s life chances for the possibility that things will turn out for the best in 20 years time.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.