This topic contains 6 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  nutter 6 months ago.

• Author

jam
    Participant

How long would you expect the physical materials of an SD card to last for their expected life span?

I have an SD card which is almost two years old. The case cracked enough for the write protect button to fall out. I can no longer write to the card. The card itself has a high-ish storage capacity and is fookin expensive to replace.

I was considering using duct tape to cover the area of the button but I’m afraid of trapping some tape inside my expensive camera.

Having said all of that have some SD cards well over 10 years old.

smith
    Participant

If it’s a decent brand, get in touch with them.. they’ll likely swap it out for nowt.

jam
    Participant

@smith that is the plan, however I am trying to find a consensus of opinion of how long the physical materials of a SD card could be expected to last when they are used occasionally and not in testing or difficult situations.

I know that SD cards are bombproof provided you don’t subject them to heat where they melt or you try to snap them through stupidity.

Mick
    Participant

Almost indefinitely from a human rather than a geological perspective. If they’re not subject to abuse the standards used to encode and organise the data will die out decades before the hardware stops working.

ratface
    Participant

Flash memory like that in SD cards has a limit on the number of write-cycles it can make. This is often in the hundreds of thousands but does mean that the cards will have a finite life. In practice, a heavily used card could wear out in a couple of years quite easily. I wouldn’t leave anything vital on an SD card that isn’t backed up on more permanent storage elsewhere.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 1 week ago by  ratface.

jam
    Participant

Flash memory like that in SD cards has a limit on the number of write-cycles in can have.

@ratface I’m more interested in the physical lifespan of the plastic materials and their construction to make the SD card. Its the construction of the materials that has failed which as resulted in being unable to read or delete the data. There are no problems with the flash memory or electronics.

I was considering the Consumer Rights Act to get a replacement until I found out that I only spent twenty quid for the card. I thought I spent considerably more on a genuine and reputable brand.

I think my expectations exceed the realities of the value of the card. Its a shame because these cards have skyrocketed in price.

Thanks everybody but I think I’ll write this card off and not hassle the vendor further.

nutter
    Participant

I suspect they have a very long life if you use them for WORM

(Write Once, Read Many). I have many that have been written once and I suspect they probably might be safer than flimsy/quickly obsolete optical or mechanically sensitive magnetic storage

I would anticipate refresh once every few years by reformat and bulk copy

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.