This topic contains 21 replies, has 18 voices, and was last updated by  SAFFY 6 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

SAFFY
    Participant

About once every six months after too much physical exercise my lower back spasms rendering me immobile and in the worst pain immaginable.

Tramadol doesn’t even touch the sides and tonight I passed out with the pain .

It’s totally debilitating but does go within a few days, my dogs don’t leave my side bless them but get worried when they see/hear me.

How can I fix this.

sar
    Participant

You have my sympathy, had this exact thing last year, the pain was unbearable, morphine etc made no difference.
    A different Doctor gave me Diazepam (Valium) and it went away really quickly never to return thank goodness.
    Has your Doctor given you a diagnosis that its spasms that you have, because I am surprised that he hasn’t given you a muscle relaxant.

sam
    Participant

Physiotherapy?
    I sympathise, I have a similar, although less severe problem.. I am pretty sure mine stems from a fall over 30 yrs ago, when I tore a muscle in my lower back. I find that co-codamol, Naproxen and heat work best but I have never been in danger of passing out, although can be rendered immoblie. Have you tried a TENS machine? I haven’t but do know that they can be very effective.

I find a lower back support can really help I picked one up from Nuovahealth which really helped my back spasms.

millie
    Participant

When I was signed off work with horrendous muscle spasm (and off my head on useless medication)… my physio gave me acupuncture which was sooooo effective. That was the only thing that helped. It was painful at the time but really made a difference. I had a couple of treatments and then the normal physio work was able to do the rest. Before the acupuncture I just couldn’t relax the affected muscles at all.

Might be worth a try?

Ali
    Participant

I have had acupuncture, too. It works like magic.

Adam
    Participant

I second diazepam! Last time my back spasmed, I literally couldn’t move. Took a diazepam, went to bed, and woke up cured!

jack
    Participant

Physio, core work, exercise that is aimed at strengthening your back and other areas so that they do not fatigue as quickly.

Christmas 2016 I was having a lot of trouble with my back and since I started working with a personal trainer to improve strength and posture I’ve had no issues. Late summer I took a few weeks off training and spasm returned. Straight back into training and a couple of weeks later I was ok again.

bill
    Participant

Is it nerve pain? A back muscle in spasm can trap the sciatic nerve and opiates won’t touch the pain. I am on pregabalin for it.

SAFFY
    Participant

Thanks everyone, I do swim and walk to strengthen the muscles but I can’t do gym work because it aggregates it. I’m sure it stems from a couple years ago when I slipped on a wet floor in the kitchen and fell awkwardly and felt something ping but I have never had a proper diagnosis. Dr’s aren’t too fussed about backs imo and just told me to do some swimming at the time.

The pain has woken me up and my back feels totally frozen but I need the loo and am scared to move . Hate this.

elly
    Participant

Having just had a bad night on a new well new/second hand mattress, which was way to soft for my back and we have to switch back next weekend to our firm one, my thing for spasm is Ibuprofen and deep heat stick on back pads. Injections are brilliant if the DR will give them. Osteo also are a great relief for backs. I have spasm so easily which are really painful to work with

Peter
    Participant

You could try these?

Chiro
    Physio
    Lie on a golf ball
    Hot bath
    Heat packs
    Shoulder support

jam
    Participant

I feel for you – I know well that back pain that paralyses you and is almost too sore to breathe past

I took so much in the way of pain relief i was out of my head, but a herbalist gave me valerian, passiflora and chamomile alongside pain herbs and that worked a treat.

The thing that helped me most was a hot water bottle and rest

mo
    Participant

I suffer terribly with back pain and spasms. I have tried all sorts, and the only thing that seems to budge it now is Robaxin 750g and a heat pad.

You do have to get these as a private prescription as they are too expensive to give on the NHS but they work out about £25 for 100 tablets and are brilliant. I would speak to you GP about these.

millie
    Participant

OP I could have written this post myself – ive had the same issue every 3/4 months after certain exercise. The first time I was taken to A&E in absolute agony, the following times I’ve been brought to tears but havent needed a hospital trip. I need 2/3 days off work each time. I’m gradually finding a coping mechanism – I see a fantastical osteo (if you are near London I’d be more than happy to recommend her) as soon as possible after it happens, then once a week for the following 2 weeks, then every 6 weeks thereafter. Expensive but she can transform me from unable to walk to walking in minimal pain in an hour! Next you need to treat it with ice not heat (as heat will increase inflammation causing more spasms). I recommend deep ice or cold packs. Then you need to strengthen your core – Pilates is excellent for us, as is the gym providing you start slow and keep weights low. Avoid yoga for now, or anything involving twisting.

If you have what I have, you’ll have torn your iliolumbar ligament. I can’t take any useful medicines (anti inflammatories or relaxants) due to other health issues.

joe
    Participant

I have back problems and once had a MEGA-Spasm attack(so you really have my sympathy too.) Am headed to hospital this morning for another xray as a matter of fact. After doing the last split rail fencing at our place, my back went “out” before Xmas; nothing like the spasms but even with pain and anti inflammation relief, it’s remained “tender.” Will see about the alternatives when I get back into see surgeon. Great advice from everyone…cheers!

ratface
    Participant

For many years I suffered with periodic lower back pain and spasm and like other posts above, I have tried all sorts of medication for it, OTC and prescription.

A colleague then recommended I try a Homedic Shiatsu massage pad, and since investing about £30 in one 8 years ago, I have broken the cycle and no longer have the painful flair ups. Any hint of a lower back spasm as a result of pulling my back, and I use the massage cushion and it sorts it out.

I find it so much better than taking painkillers as I get stomach pains with them – probably because I’ve taken so many over the years…

Btw, I don’t work for Homedics but I have recommended them to several friends and relatives who are all now converts and swear by them.

It combines a powerful circular motion style massage (its got two massagers side by side that mirror each other in motion) with optional heat.

Here’s the Homedics website, but you can buy from ebay etc and get some very good deals.

https://www.homedics.co.uk/homedics-shiatsu-cushion-with-remote-control.html?gclid=CjwKCAiAy4bTBRAvEiwAFtatHMKfFfbPF8f2s3MHmC8DU5z42NwAX-GneIQxzp7wbUMpWOJyuMGQSBoC6VEQAvD_BwE

• This reply was modified 6 months, 4 weeks ago by  ratface.

flyguy
    Participant

It might sound a tad strange and also it depends on the actual pain etc etc…………but i have found doing very slow cycling on a sit up and beg bike or exercise bike works well, long legs and i am stretching out the muscles. when I say slow I mean the tortoise would have over taken me.

howard
    Participant

It’s worth trying an osteo too! Mine is a goddess – I go in severely leaning to one side and in terrible pain, and come out much straighter and minimal pain. The most important part is improving your core strength and being careful how you bend/lift. It will be slow as my osteo did say that ligaments take a very long time to heal due to the lack of blood circulation in the back (I think).

One other thing is don’t neglect the rest of your back – I often get deferred pain in my upper back or neck after a flare up. My osteo works on all my back after a flare up and I cannot tell you how tight and painful my other back muscles are when they try to overcompensate for the damaged ligament.

Mick
    Participant

Friend who also has lower back problems kindly came over recently(when mine was bad,) and showed me all sorts of slow stretching exercises. Apparently(which is hard to believe with all the physical labor many of us do,) our lower back pains come from TOO MUCH SITTING? The stretching of back leg muscles, that are apparently tied further up the spine than I realized, really help if you do them daily. He also lies flat on the ground on back with legs on a chair, buttocks against the chair for 15 mins. This apparently releases a lot of tension. Been doing these and back is getting better.

• This reply was modified 6 months, 3 weeks ago by  Mick.

troll
    Participant

went to see a physio yesterday who did a fact find but sadly no hands on treatment , he seems to think I have muscle spasms due to a spinal problem but didn’t give me a diagnosis. I didn’t warm to him tbh he seemed ‘ going through the motions ‘ but I have a treatment session next week so will see after that.

He’s a physio so he can’t give you a diagnosis for a spinal problem, only tell you he suspects one. The problem comes when the NHS don’t want to diagnose it either. Ideally you need to know what you’re dealing with.

I get muscle spasms due to spine problems, the muscles go into spasm to try to keep the spine still to avoid making the problem worse. It’s as if the muscles go overboard and tense themselves up more than is helpful, creating another painful problem. IME the only thing to do is to avoid the activity that causes the muscles to spasm, and if they feel as though they’re getting too tight use massage to relax them. If the muscles are sore even when relaxed I find they quickly become tense again in response to that pain, so I use Feldine-P gel available from the chemist to control the pain, then the muscles stay relaxed and everything gets a chance to heal.

I never take painkillers to enable me to carry on doing something painful, because that risks making the original problem worse. I have the attitude that if I need painkillers then I also need to stop doing whatever-it-is and rest. I see pain as a useful warning sign of a problem, not something to be ignored or masked with painkillers while carrying on.

Ali
    Participant

@troll that is my experience too, my left hip is more hypermobile than my right hip, the muscles on my left side overtry to stabilise it and sometimes instead of just being painful going into over drive.

SAFFY
    Participant

I have stopped taking the pain killers now and am trying heat pads and a back support. I am still in a huge amount of pain particularly in the morning.

I don’t get any warning of the spasms so cannot prepare for them. It’s very difficult to stop and relax when you have to work (Im a builder) doing a lot of manual work as I’m sure this sets it off.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.