This topic contains 13 replies, has 9 voices, and was last updated by  josh 2 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

Jay
    Participant

Anybody got a Google Home Mini speaker?
    If you do, did you have any difficulty setting it up?

I bought one today, and for the life of me I can not get it to connect to my home network.

nobroo
    Participant

Anybody thinking of getting a Google Home Mini?

I suggest you wait as there are some technical issues that Google are not discussing and are not fixing any time soon.

If you buy your speaker in the hope that it will play your music from your Google Music Play account. Then you are out of luck. This feature is broken and there does not seem to be a date when it will be fixed.

Last week when ever I verbally asked the Google Assistants on any of my android kit to play some music, that bit of kit would play the requested music. No mess no fuss, and to steal a quote from Apple, it just worked.

This weekend I bought a Google Home Mini and discovered that this feature does not work. And there is no sight of fixing this by asking on the Google Help Forums because they have known about this fault since October 2017.

And now the feature is broken on all my other android kit. The voice command to play music on those devices no longer works.

I am now painfully aware that Google Home listens to everything. Yes I know, I should have known this, but now I can see transcripts of what I asked. And that’s just what its telling me its documented.

cam
    Participant

Have you tried asking it?

Jay
    Participant

@cam Why didn’t I think of that?

So far the official Google forum is no help either and I do not appear to be alone in this problem

songbird
    Participant

I only have the normal sized Home. Was simple. Did you follow the instructions? Your question leaves us nothing to help you with? What steps did you take? Where is it failing?

Jay
    Participant

You could try contacting Google support directly. I assumed that, as a giant internet company, they’d be impossible to get hold of on the phone and worse than useless if you did.

@songbird After trying everything I could do after scouring the web and signing up to the Google Forum for advice, I quit and watched an episode of The Grand Tour.

Meanwhile my other half thought she’d give it a go, so I left her to play in the next room. She’s female with no IT skills, so what harm could it possibly do. And she’d just cooked dinner meaning that she was allowed a little time to herself before attending to my every whim after watching my Man Program.

Guess who solved the problem within 10 minutes?

I still don’t know how she did it when I spent almost 3 hours trying.

I tried using my phone with Android version 8.1.0 and the router’s 2.4 and 5Ghs WiFi signals. Nothing.

My OH used an old Nexus 7 (2013) Android version 6.0.1 and the 2.4Ghz WiFi signal and got on straight away.

How does that work then where an old bit of kit was able to connect to a modern voice activated speaker, while the most upto date Android OS crashed and burned?

My next problem is getting Google Play music to work with the speaker when I only have the free subscription.

flyguy
    Participant

How is life going with the world monitoring every noise and word you and your household utters, then, now and again, it will answer you back with its plastic megaphone voice?

The White Zone is for unloading and loading only …

oldguy
    Participant

I don’t own a google home but for other things I have tried the Google support forum and trust me you wont find any help there. That forum is just full of pathetic trolls, who either haven’t got anything better to do.. or are paid by Google to put down anyone with any criticism of Google the supreme overlord.

I would never want a google home device in my home constantly spying on me.

smartarse
    Participant

Works fine for me on both my Pixel 2 phone and the Home Mini I got for free when I bought the phone. Not sure if it is a configuration problem at your end or just a random sporadic issue, but in either case this isn’t true across the board…

Jay
    Participant

Works fine for me on both my Pixel 2 phone and the Home Mini I got for free when I bought the phone. Not sure if it is a configuration problem at your end or just a random sporadic issue, but in either case this isn’t true across the board…

That’s what I am discovering about it being a lottery if the Google mini speaker can play music.

May I ask if you have a Google Music Play pro account or a free account where you have uploaded your own music to the cloud?

smartarse
    Participant

@jay I have a free account where I have uploaded music from older CDs. I also have a paid for Spotify account that I stream from. Both work for me with the Google assistant. I have the Google account set as default, which means that I need to say “play blah on Spotify” if I want to use Spotify whereas I can just say “play blah” if I have it on Google.

Jay
    Participant

I have the Google account set as default, which means that I need to say “play blah on Spotify” if I want to use Spotify whereas I can just say “play blah” if I have it on Google.

@smartarse That’s good to hear that all is working fine for you. As for me, there is a problem and it seems that it is quite random who is affected and who is not.

Hopefully this issue will be for a small group of people and Google will resolve it some time soon.

troll
    Participant

These devices sound awful! Must have this that and other just to use. Plus you got the fact that Google does not pay taxes and is using these devices to control what people think by limiting people to what Google considers is right and wrong.

Whats wrong with the good old cd player?

Return it and get your moeny back I say!

• This reply was modified 2 months, 3 weeks ago by  troll.

josh
    Participant

Hopefully this issue will be for a small group of people and Google will resolve it some time soon.

@jay If you want Google to fix something you best hope it effects loads of people! I had a problem with my chromebook where it was randomly disconnecting from wireless networks and wouldn’t reconnect. As it only effected about 10% of that model after a software update they didn’t any anything about it. As far as I know it never did get fixed.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.