This topic contains 20 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  cam 3 weeks, 2 days ago.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • Author

josh
    Participant

Down at dole hole here, the first thing that you see when you walk in is a 6ft banner embellished with the words “Yes, you can work” (I always hear the words as if spoken by Theresa May, directed at some chap in a wheelchair)

It’s an improvement on “Arbiet macht frei” I suppose. Who gets paid to come up with this bullsh*t?

torieboy
    Participant

Does a wheel chair prevent someone from working?

josh
    Participant

Does a wheel chair prevent someone from working?

@torieboy That would depend on the job… Should the disabled be forced to work?

torieboy
    Participant

@josh Should the able bodied be forced to work?

Adam
    Participant

That would depend on the job… Should the disabled be forced to work?

If there is a suitable career, yes, just like everyone else effectively is. A wheelchair would not be an encumberance on me doing my job, for example – I primarily work from home doing IT, and when visiting client sites it wouldn’t be at all hard to make reasonable adjustments – just about every modern office building these days has a lift, and while I couldn’t use the Tube I could use trains, buses and taxis.

There will be some disabilities which make working impossible, but the vast majority will just require retraining into a new role, which the Government really needs to be assisting with.

ben
    Participant

@josh Surely it’s good that the Government are open to the idea that a wheelchair user can work?

josh
    Participant

@adam When written in a reasonable way (like you just have) yes it’s a sound idea to promote inclusivity. I just found the poster (and where it was situated) to be crass. It came across as callous and smacked of double speak.

• This reply was modified 3 weeks, 2 days ago by  utterz.

torieboy
    Participant

@josh There are a lot of people with crippling disabilities who work, there are people with very little wrong with them who don’t work and use their “disability” as an excuse not to work. In between the 2 extremes there are thousands and thousands of people who just crack on as best they can.

I think even disables people should have their benefits cut if they refuse to work even if they are forced to work in a job they don’t like.. everyone has a responsibility.

troll
    Participant

@josh I think that its a motivational phrase for the drones that work there.

@torieboy I hope someone cuts off your legs and forces you to work for less than minimum wage all hours under the “work program” or whatever they are calling it nowadays.

oldguy
    Participant

I agree with your sentiment about the phrase…..it is loaded with inference. If it said something like ‘here to help you find work’ it would be different….

Yes, you ‘can’ work infers to me a George Osborne type of image.

Good luck getting yourself sorted….

mohammad
    Participant

@josh get over yourself and get a job! Pathetic! Its just a poster?!

josh
    Participant

@mohammad thanks so you see someone at a low point and you try to drag them down! TROLL!

mohammad
    Participant

@josh Obviously with me being fabulously wealthy I know nothing about low points. Ahh hang on I am quite aware of things, we live in a cheap house on a sink estate, my wife hasn’t worked for 2 years due to a disability despite applying for lots of jobs that she can do, neither of us drink, smoke or eat out so I think we can be forgiven a 5 to 7 day holiday once a year when I work a minimum of a 70 hour week. When it comes to disabilities my back is shot, it takes 2 500/30 cocodamol to get out of bed in the morning and though some days are okay other days I walk hunched over like an old man unable to straighten up but I’m still out there every day in my van working on site. Please don’t try lecture me about sneering posters

josh
    Participant

@mohammad Then why shoot me down? Don’t you think the current government (Ian Duncan Smith and that lot) have behaved shamefully in regards to some people dependent on benefits? Flawed PIP assessments and the like?

I hope you have a bloody good holiday – it sounds like you deserve a really good break!

mohammad
    Participant

@josh I didn’t shoot you down, I engaged in a debate.

Regarding shameful handling of benefits, the amount of people I know screwing the system is scary, unfortunately to clamp down on these sponging wasters occasionally genuine people get caught in the cross fire. I don’t know how to prevent the abuse of the system and I don’t think the government do either. I am speaking from personal experience so my focus group is very small but but I would say out of every 10 people I know that are screwing the system 1 have a genuine need.

Mick
    Participant

It’s shit like this that makes my blood boil: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/stories-42789610

If you apply for benefit then you should look for work, I don’t have a problem with that. What I do have a problem with is people being screwed over by a dysfunctional and callous system that seems to assume you’re a work shy scrounger.

When Labour come to power, after they have abolished zero hours contracts and sorted out the housing market for the young, I want them to start treating people who have fallen on hard times as people who need help and who should be treated with some sympathy and dignity.

torieboy
    Participant

I Agree with @mohammad The govts callous attitude towards genuine job seekers derives from the legions of work shy scroungers who are abusing the system while pretending to look for work.

The enemies aren’t Osbourne or the Maybot…the enemies are the people who could work but claim benefits instead.

nobroo
    Participant

legions of work shy scroungers who are abusing the system while pretending to look for work.

@torieboy let’s just get some perspective here… http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-2017-39980793

Benefit fraud accounted for ~1% of the benefits bill in 2015-16, and more than half of that was to do with housing benefit. Even if all the rest was down to people gaming the system, I wouldn’t call ~1 in 200 “legions”.

the enemies are the people who could work but claim benefits instead.

It’s not my business who you hate, but it’s a shame that the relentless “workshy scrounger” rhetoric has resulted in this demonisation of a whole mythical section of society, who for the most part appear to be honest but poor.

As an aside, have you ever claimed benefits? Have you read reports of people let down by the system? It must be one of the most difficult and least rewarding systems to abuse – constant monitoring, checks, sanctions, assessments… and all for £10 a day. If you were really a workshy scrounger, you’d be better off begging on the street.

songbird
    Participant

@nobroo surely ‘benefit fraud’ is only measured by those who are caught, how many are actually committing this offense must be impossible to measure accurately.

Far more people probably ‘abuse’ the benefits system in that they make it a lifestyle choice – rather than seeking very low paid jobs they are actually better off being in receipt of benefits.

Ih8people
    Participant

Far more people probably ‘abuse’ the benefits system in that they make it a lifestyle choice – rather than seeking very low paid jobs they are actually better off being in receipt of benefits.

@songbird there is a scandal there right enough, but if anyone is culpable for that it’s not the ones you’re looking to demonise.

How is it right that it’s possible to be in full time work yet unable to afford to live in reasonably secure accommodation, keep reasonably warm in winter and adequately feed yourself?

cam
    Participant

As a tax payer, I hope you are doing the required 35 hours per week job seeking. I’m lead to believe, by certain newspapers, that the unemployed sit around all day, watching tv, drinking stella, and spawning lots of kids.

Quite how you could do 35 hours per week job seeking eludes me. If you scoured all the local papers, read the job sites, sent off CV’s, and looked for cards in the news agents window, by week 2 you’d have covered most angles. By week 3, covering the same source would only take an hour or two. So not certain where one would look for new job postings, to fill the remaining hours.

Don’t let them get you down. Things could always be worse. At least you don’t work in the dole office and have no soul.

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.