This topic contains 7 replies, has 5 voices, and was last updated by  Chris B 5 months, 3 weeks ago.

• Author

robert
    Participant

Should have had these years ago.

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-42506706

Maybe the Police could use their powers as well to curb drunkenness?

troll
    Participant

I don’t know if you’ve noticed but the police are currently almost as f*cked as the NHS, with further cuts on the way.

Chris B
    Participant

Worked at a music festival years ago, and they had “welfare tents” manned by nurses and social workers (it was a festival mainly targeted at teenagers, so loads of underaged) big tent with wipeable mattresses on the floor and lots of blankets. Worked so well and massively took the strain of of the Ambulance/ Field hospital. I think they are a brilliant idea, even if it is a bit of a shame that we need them.

Great for new years eve when ambulance/ police have a duty of care to so many drunk people but no capacity to deal with it, just nice to have somewhere you can deposit someone who is clearly excessively vulnerable (too the cold, sexual assault, being run over staggering home) but don’t really need medical attention. I remember working one NYE and it was between -5C and -10C depending how close to the coast you were, I found it hugely stressful as pretty much everyone of the people we interacted with that night (or just drove past) would be seen as vulnerable, due to alcohol and cold, and we just had to turn away from them, as we were so busy.

Years ago there was an incident of a young man going missing in winter, and was eventually found dead in a coal shed. Because the police had briefly spoken to him when he was walking home drunk they were held responsible by the coroner!! This is why we need Drunk Tanks!

mo
    Participant

It’s a sad indictment of British culture that these are even required.

just another Dave
    Participant

@chrisb Couldn’t agree more .. great idea, much needed. As an A&E doc, just finished a night shift and up now way too late ( back in 8 hours) , it’s desperately needed to reduce pressure so we can concentrate on actual medical presentations.

…waiting time last night never got below 8 hours. That’s waiting for first contact with a doctor. 10 hours at worst. Left work at 0830 am with patients in the waiting room unseen, who’d arrived before 11pm.

…there were no deaths that shift, which was a f***ing miracle.

robert
    Participant

The NHS should not have to be where the buck stops. From the moment a reveller/binge drinker takes their first beverage to the point where they become at risk there were occasions where this could have been addressed.

I realise that people pre-load with alcohol before going out for the night but shouldn’t pub and bar staff stop selling intoxicating liquid sooner rather than letting the cash tills ring?

Or maybe the Police could further exercise their powers regarding drunkenness in a public place before people become further at risk to themselves and society?

Maybe society could change its mindset and stigmatise binge drinking rather than celebrating the event?
    I’m sure many of us have heard people saying with pride “you should have seen me last night, I got so totally wasted”
    Maybe we should hear more “What a tool, for getting so wasted.”

I’m trying to make this discussion about occasional and social binge drinking taking up and wasting valuable resources and not about people suffering with alcohol dependence.

mo
    Participant

Legalising and destigmatising drugs might help. Although getting pissed is still fun and I suspect would continue to be a popular choice.

David Nutts plans for booze substitutes are interesting, but I’m not convinced they’ll really work.

I think the idea of young people wanting to stay sober is a non starter though. They’ll always want to get wrecked one way or another, so it would be best to have a range of options with lower degrees of harm.

Chris B
    Participant

@robert I agree with much of what you say, we need a massive change in mindset and policy across society, so that when an adult chooses to commence drinking their subsequent actions (including drinking more than originally planned) and any consequences (even death) are their responsibility and nobody else (with the exception of criminal acts against them obviously).

Duty of care in this country is taken too fair, and resolves too many adults of responsibility, but until that changes the NHS and police have to protect themselves.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.