This topic contains 3 replies, has 3 voices, and was last updated by  fab 1 month ago.

• Author

sar
    Participant

For the past 2/3 weeks I’ve noticed that when I lie flat on my back in bed for more than 10/15 mins I get a very severe pain right in the middle of my lower back. It’s so painful that it makes me gasp and I have to carefully turn round (I’m generally a stoic type lol) it also makes me limp really badly for the first half a dozen steps if I need to get straight out of bed. I am absolutely fine for the rest of the day, not a hint of a pain, and I do all my usual daily activities. It’s very strange. Anyone any experience of anything like this? I will mention it to my doctor next time I’m there but from previous experience I can’t imagine they will be much help. Or would it be a physio thing? It’s definitely a minor thing in the grand scheme of things because it disappears quickly but at the time it’s really excruciating. Also, I am currently 19/20 weeks pregnant (dates tbc as last scan measured a week ahead) this may or may not be applicable but thought it was worth mentioning. First pregnancy so I dunno if it’s related at all.

jessy
    Participant

Yes I get it when my lower back has got too compressed. I will get back ache when trying to lie on my back and when I get up from my bed or from sitting at my desk will be in a lot of pain and either have to stand there and stretch upwards until it wears off or limp really badly for a few steps. Laying in the recovery position helps as does regular chiro. I often find it is caused by tension and stress along with not enough exercise due to long hours at work.

sar
      Participant

Yea sounds very similar! Tension and stress may well play a part actually, have had a fair bit of that these last 7/8 weeks
      The exercise is a good point too I’m only really going for a short walk with the dog and sorting horses whereas before I would have been riding most days too. I will try and up the activity for a bit and see if that helps. Thanks!

fab
    Keymaster

By the sounds of it, you might have Sciatica which is caused by compression of the Sciatic Nerve. It is very common after pregnancy and usually goes away within 4-8 weeks. Taking painkillers can only get you so far with this. When I had Sciatica after suffering from a slipped disc I found wearing a lower back to help support and realign my back to help ease the pressure of the Sciatic Nerve really helped. You can buy a postpartum support for this here https://nuovahealth.co.uk/shop/postpartum-support/

Hope this helps and you get it sorted!

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.