This topic contains 13 replies, has 11 voices, and was last updated by  Peter 3 months ago.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Came across today two car drivers intent on getting the same road side parking bay. Both were part way across the bay in claiming what they probably believed to be their respective right to use it. Horns were blowing frequently to try and get the other to move. Neither was giving in when I passed with one reversing and the other going forward but they just got closer and closer still with intermittent blaring horns.

In their dispute of who had the right to use the parking bay neither seemed prepared to give an inch …… even to the extent of preventing the car that was already parked in the bay and trying to get out, to get out!!

The red mist must have been so bad that as well as stopping the parked car exiting neither presumably saw the vacant parking space on the other side of the road only 10m away.

Idiots to say the least.

It’s amazing the self-righteous attitude that descends on a lot of people the instant they’re safely encased in their two ton suit of motorised armour.

I have some sympathy for the person reversing in. They have gone past the space and positioned to reverse in as you do.
    But then the other person has decided to try steal the space.
    If it is a single space the only way to park without mounting the pavement is to reverse in.

In 2010 I was lining up my long car to reverse into a roadside space in Coniston when my friend nipped in forwards in their Clio. I’m still biding my time but it’s not over… (this was a very deliberate slight, not the standard case of a gormless kerb abusing forwards parker not having any awareness about what the parallel parker is doing).

Speaking of gormless people with no awareness, there’s a “keep clear” sign on the road in the queue to some traffic lights on my commute. Every couple of months someone overtakes me into the keep clear area…

@sammy imagine what it will be like if the Walna Scar car park charges are implemented. Rivers of blood in the streets of Coniston.

I agree with the reversing – I don’t know how it started and who arrived first. Blocking the car exiting though ….! It was not their dispute.

People are weird about parking.

The row of terraced houses I live in has a track that goes from the road, down the side and along the back to give access to gardens, garages etc. The bit along the side of the end house is about two vehicles wide, so both residents and people who work in the nearby shops often park along the left hand side of it. I got home on my bike a couple of weeks ago to find that I couldn’t get in because at the road end there was a car sat on the right hand side too, apparently parked. Once I got up to it, it turned out that there was a bloke sat in it. He explained that he normally parked on the lane, but there was someone (probably one of the day-workers) in his usual spot so, despite the fact that you can generally find a free on-street spot a little way up the road, he was waiting there for them to leave. He reversed, with some reluctance, just enough to let me in to the lane, and then pulled back up and resumed his vigil.

I went home, faffed around a bit, came out to go to the corner shop 20 minutes later. Still there. Pottered around the shop for ten minutes or so, came back, still there. Bizarre.

@jack People get very passionate about parking in “their spot”
    I get the odd phone call about my vans.
    Typically along the lines of “one of your vans is parked outside my house and I want it moving so I can park”.
    In every case it has been a terraced street with no off road parking so my guys are not blocking anyone’s drive or anything like that, it’s just people who insist they have the right to park outside their house.
    I can sympathise a little bit, I used to live on a terraced street and parking was often full but it’s tough luck as it was for me if someone was parked in “my spot”.

British drivers are far too precious about their cars; in France if the road is flat you leave your hand brake off because you can be sure somebody will come along and nudge your car out of the way to create a spot. It’s what bumpers are for and leaving the brake off helps to avoid damage.

@nobroo I never understood that mentality.

Until the winter of 2010 when I’d dig out snow all the way from where I was parked to the main road, then come home and find some other bugger parked there. So I’d dig out a new spot (to prevent compacting the ice any worse). By the end of it I’d cleared over 30 meters of residential side street fron what started as feet of snow and ended as two inch thick ice.

I never saw another person with a snow shovel or a spade. Not once. Lots of complaining, lots of noise and stink from people destroying their clutches, lots of telling me “what’s the point when it’s going to snow again” etc.

I’m now convinced that sheer laziness, abdication of personal responsibility and stupidity are why housing estates can’t cope with snow.

Don’t sweat the small stuff – of all the terrible things that people do and have done to them this doesn’t even make the bottom of the list.

@nobroo What are these bumpers of which you speak? Cars have extremely fragile bits of bodywork at the front and rear, but nothing that would allow the car to be shunted, even with the handbrake off.

As for being too precious, the majority of drivers couldn’t care less about causing a few hundred quids worth of damage to someone else’s car.

(I’m not precious about mine, I deliberately drive a battered wreck, but can see why people with decent cars get pissed off).

The French have a very entertaining attitude to cars. On my first ever visit to France (in a car) as we were driving into town after coming off the ferry the car in front nearly ran a man over, slowly like as traffic was heavy, the man never flinched or even swore he just spun round and gave a resounding roundhouse kick to the car door then walked off. A few miles further on the car in front of us (another one) had a blow out on the road and after careering all over the place came to a shuddering stop in the ditch. We stopped and ran over to help, expecting a traumatised driver. But he just got out of his car shrugged and dug in the boot for the spare wheel

A few houses ago, we used to receive angry notes left under a windscreen wiper if we parked outside one house. It wasn’t something we’d do without good reason as it did involve a bit of a walk but for a little while, after working out that the people in question were fit and capable rather than suffering any form of physical impairment, provoking angry notes became reason enough.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.