This topic contains 8 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  ben 1 month ago.

• Author

logi
    Participant

If you haven’t seen it, there’s an interesting article about a study that found plastic within bottled water.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-43389031

I might have missed it, but where did the plastic come from? Is it from the bottles themselves (left over from the bottle manufacturing process, and therefore an incentive not to drink bottled water), or is it from the water source itself? We know rivers/lakes have plastic in them already, but I would hope that spring water, and especially underground aquifers, wouldn’t have any plastic in them based on the natural filtration of water through rock/bog etc over many many years, possibly for longer than plastic has even existed. And as I understand it, bottled water is filled from springs/boreholes, not direct from rivers and lakes. So what have I missed? Where’s it coming from?

oldguy
    Participant

In the video they say that they suspect some of it could be from when you break the seal of the lid to open it, as they are two different plastics and the lid type was found in the water too.

doormat
    Participant

As the vast majority of bottled water is de-chlorinated tap water I suspect that the plastic is coming from the bottle manufacturing process and bottling process!

Some tap water, from surface collected water may have plastic in it, but spring water and ground water should have been filtered by passing through rock and earth.

It sounds to me like a plan to persuade people to stop drinking bottled water. The bottlers have to either admit it is the bottling process, or blame the suppliers of mains water. Neither option is going to help their image!

fred
    Participant

I do consume a lot of water via plastic bottles. I mean since a child I have must have drunk thousands of bottles of water, now I am in my 30s I must have consumed a ton of plastic! Now I am getting paranoid about the long term effects drinking plastic will have had on my health all these years.

• This reply was modified 1 month ago by  fred.

logi
    Participant

As the vast majority of bottled water is de-chlorinated tap water…

@doormat I had no idea about this. Never buy bottled water, but assumed it was all spring water and boreholes from aquifers, as that what they say on the bottles!

If it’s as you say, and the plastic is from mains water or the bottle fab/bottling process, then that’s a big downside for the bottling companies.

logi
    Participant

@fred If you don’t mind me asking, why do you drink so much bottled water/drink? I’ve never seen the need so I’m not sure why people would do. Just curious. Thanks.

Mike w
    Participant

Most likely the plastic is coming from the bottle manufacturing, filling and transportation process.

Larger particles will most likely just pass through you, although getting stuck in the gut is a possibility. It’s the smaller fragments that are more of a concern and the potential for them to somehow have an increased bioavailability.

I wonder if plastic will end up being the tobacco or asbestos of our time.

harry
    Participant

Kind of strange they only tested water- you’d think if it was the bottling process then it would affect all drinks in plastic bottles

ben
    Participant

It’s quite bonkers when you think about the range of products that include plastic: Milk, toothpaste, mouthwash… it goes on and on. Many of the ingredients in our food will have been transported or stored in plastic before being turned into the final products we consume which may not be packaged in plastic.

Maybe we need regulation like drugs. Drugs are carefully tested, the “drug product” is the medicinal substance in its carrier formula within its container, this is treated as a whole to account for any changes in state whilst being sent from factory to ending up in or on a person. Things like the dye used in the coloured pill capsule or ratio of drug substance to air within container ratio mess with stability and are closely monitored in a drug product stability program that lasts years before allowing the drug into the market.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.