This topic contains 12 replies, has 13 voices, and was last updated by  jamie 3 months, 4 weeks ago.

• Author

Dave perry
    Participant

With science it would seem that space and time are interconnected. I can see space, observe and feel the effects of gravity.

However does time exist, or is it a human invention concept thing?

troll
    Participant

Try reading ‘The Fabric Of The Cosmos’ by Brian Greene, then all will become clear.

Or, as happened to me, little melted bits of brain will fall out of your ears… but then I’m not terribly clever.

mel
    Participant

and feel the effects of gravity.

Actually you don’t. You feel the effect of the earth beneath your feat (or seat under your posterior) resisting the effects of gravity.

Science guy
    Participant

Very odd that you don’t ‘feel the effects’ of the passing of time. Surely ‘the arrow of time’ is one of the cruelest things about life, that we can do nothing about – like death? How can it possibly be a human invention if we’re so powerless to do anything to counteract it? The whole geological history of our planet is more than enough to prove that time exists.

SAFFY
    Participant

@science-guy Time and death are cruel, but I guess they give life value too. Suddenly early mornings are more important to me, even without anything in particular to be up for*.

* I’m up sorting out my blood sugar before I can go to bed…

rob
    Participant

In our current understanding time very much does exist. It’s a dimension almost exactly like the spatial ones. The weirdness of time compared to the others comes from the fact that there’s a minus sign in one of the entries on a matrix that we call the metric (this is simplifying a bit as it’s more complicated and not exactly just a minus sign once you include general relativity).

Also we know the laws of physics don’t work the same way if you run time backwards. Currently we’ve only seen very small effects in some processes involving subatomic particles called quarks, but we’re looking for bigger ones occurring in another type of particle called the neutrino.

EricPoints
    Participant

However does time exist, or is it a human invention concept thing?

Time does exist, surely the human “invention” is the means of measuring it. Worth remembering too, that for many hundreds of years the measurement of time by humans was dependent on gravity.

Ali
    Participant

Why does E=mc^2 (E=mc squared) by Brian Cox is pretty good at explaining it.

A Brief History of Time has a whole chapter about arrows of time and why they all point in the same direction.

Simplest explanation is, if you want to describe a location you can do it in 3 dimensions (3 numbers), but if you want to describe an event you need to specify the time also, which is a 4th dimension (4 numbers).

scarymary
    Participant

Time is what stops everything happening at once.

However, I understand that one way of looking at spacetime is as a big four dimensional block with everything that ever “was” or ever “will be” in space and time frozen in – I suppose we just move through the block visiting different places in spacetime.

ratface
    Participant

I think an interesting (I suppose psycholological) question is whether you see yourself moving forward through time or whether you see yourself static with time rolling towards you. Personally I think I see time as a really long unrolling carpet with me riding the roll!

Duck
    Participant

Time is what stops everything happening at once.

However, I understand that one way of looking at spacetime is as a big four dimensional block with everything that ever “was” or ever “will be” in space and time frozen in – I suppose we just move through the block visiting different places in spacetime.

@scarymary Your saying that everything is predetermined?

just another Dave
    Participant

You saying that everything is predetermined?

In my opinion the universe is made of particles that follow the laws of physics. Everything that happens is caused by the things that happened before it. Luckily, you can’t predict everything (even in principle, let alone in practice), so this doesn’t cause us any bother.

But if you appreciate that the universe is causal like this, then good luck trying to justify any notion of free will*.

Just thought I’d add that to clear things up.

*I know compatiblists think they can, but that’s just unconvincing goal post shifting IMO.

jamie
    Participant

@scarymary @just-another-dave It is possible that in 4 dimensions all of spacetime is a composite whole traversed forwards by our minds, conscious and subconscious, supplemented in the reverse direction by the fact that they retain something of what has already been traversed in memory.

Extra dimensions would allow parallel courses in which the flow of what we perceive as events could be different sometimes or always or different in the time dimension sometimes or always. There is an argument that free will allows a selection of which course at any one point on the time dimension we take. That selection would be limited to those physically possible from what went before.

An event would therefore require more than 4 coordinates to determine “where”, how and whether it occurred …

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.