This topic contains 6 replies, has 7 voices, and was last updated by  redders 3 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

singer
    Participant

OH and I are coming back to the UK in August for my brother’s wedding. I relocated and have been living in South Africa for years now, so am looking for some guidance on where we could go for a few days after the wedding before flying home!

We’ll be staying with my cousins in Hampshire. The wedding is in Winchester, where we’ll be for one night, after which my parents and sisters will go to visit my grandad, who lives just outside Cambridge. Normally we’d either go up to stay with my brother in London, but he will be on honeymoon obviously! Or, we’d go with the rest of the family to Cambridge but Gdad is a bit old and frail, there is not enough space for all of us, and he’ll worry about the pressure of OH staying with him and needing to ‘host’, as he’s only met OH twice.

Of course, we could just stay in a BnB local to Cambridge but I think it would be nice to see somewhere else while we’re there.

Our flights are out of Heathrow about 4 days after the wedding so we would probably look at staying somewhere and then just getting directly to the airport from there. We probably won’t rent a car, so it would need to have good coach or rail access to Heathrow.

I was thinking about Bath or Oxford. Any other ideas? I think OH would like to see the picturesque, quintessentially English towns where we can walk the streets or go to a market. A good pub or two is essential!

candy
    Participant

For two of you to travel by train anywhere in U.K. will cost a small fortune and you may find it is actually cheaper to rent a car at Heathrow. Oxford is always horrendously busy with visitors in the summer but Bath is lovely as are the Cotswolds. If you don’t end up getting a car and do find yourself in Oxford then the bus services to Heathrow is excellent and not at all expensive.

Quigley
    Participant

As poster above says – don’t use the train, they are expensive, dirty and unreliable! Hire a car instead – Bath and Oxford both have park and ride, both beautiful cities personally I prefer Bath – take a tour of the Cotswolds too – doesn’t get more English than that!

oldfogie
    Participant

Winchester is great too – the Hospital of the Holy Cross is a bit of a hidden gem and the Great Hall with the Round Table.

Tour of the Cotswolds
    On to Exmoor – Selworthy, Dunster, Porlock, drop down through Dorset and along the coast to Durdle Dor, Tyneham, Corfe and back to Heathrow via the New Forest.

Sorted!

cam
    Participant

Wells!

We have just had a week in Somerset in a fab cottage and loved Wells. It is small and quaint and beautiful. The Cathedral is wonderful as is the Bishop’s Palace and there is much to see in the city, lots of good eating places, local pubs and a market on Wednesday and Saturday mornings. The surrounding area is lovely – Cheddar Gorge, Glastonbury, several National Trust places. Until this week, Bath was my favourite UK city, but Wells has just taken top spot.

Hire a car – trains are unreliable and extortionate. You can get to LHR from Wells by car in two and a half hours. Winchester to Wells is about two hours – the A303 is always very busy around Stonehenge.

amymay
    Participant

National Express coaches are cheap and do routes all over the country, but nothing beats the convenience of your own transport. Really more or less anywhere is interesting! Oxford and Oxfordshire would be very English! Probably heading west would be the more attractive countryside. Bath is lovely, although do not attempt to drive in Bath, there are car parks on the outskirts and buses into the centre.

Stonehenge is the big attraction, with good reason, but if you go to Avebury Stone Circle you can get up close and touch the stones.

redders
    Participant

Oxford is beautiful – the colleges are amazing and stunning, there is a gorgeous covered market with all sorts of quirky little shops under cover, you can walk next to the river and it is absolutely lovely

And if you really want a touristy day out, you can go slightly north to Woodstock and Blenheim Palace, home of the Marlborough family – beautiful historical house and the most beautiful park you could imagine, designed by Capability Brown

I was brought up locally and I don’t often promote the area for tourism, but I really do have to admit it is a lovely place to visit 😀

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.