This topic contains 6 replies, has 6 voices, and was last updated by  kal 1 week, 4 days ago.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author

evie
    Participant

Recently had a suite of blood tests due to feeling like I’m dragging myself through a bog most days. Results show low vitamin D, level of 30 and doctor has advised supplementation. I think she said the range is 30-50 something? And said just to hoick myself up further into the range through diet and over the counter vitamins. From what I can find online (have to say it seems to be one of the most debated vitamins!) it looks like it’s 10mcg a day to take? I’m just wondering how responsive levels of Vitamin D are once supplemented as I don’t like to overtake pills/vitamins if not needed and don’t want to head too far up the other way. I’m also not in the range of ferritin (which is usual for me) so that’s also going to be boosted.

em
    Participant

I take 25 mcg a day and am now testing in the normal range. I’ve never felt any different (I have deficiencys in about everything it’s possible to be deficient in plus a disease that means this is unlikely to ever change) but after a few months my nails started to feel stronger.
    I could be wrong but at 25mcgs I don’t think it’s possible to over dose on vit D

sar
    Participant

I was on a much lower reading than you, my reading was too low to read! I started at 5,000, with Vitamin D3 5000 Iu, 240 Softgels, by Now vitamins. After a few weeks I upped it to two tablets, so 10,000 Iu.

The next test from my doctor, after 4 months I was low side of normal. I stayed on 10,000 all winter, tested as OK, so dropped to 5,000 for summer, with a few weeks break altogether. By the end of summer was high side of normal, yay!

Because I am higher doses two of the tests were from my GP, but I also took a private test through the NHS by post. You can buy it here https://www.sunvitd3.co.uk/product-category/blood-test-kits/

On the doses I am on you *could overdose, so I keep testing, but I feel awful if I let the levels drop.

You need vit D3 rather than D2, and it works better of you take it with K2. If you are low on D then I would ask your levels for B12 too, as a lot of people are low, but in the UK the medics recommend lower levels then medics in other countries.

I am surprised that your GP did not recommend a dosage.

It is worth having a look at “Vitamin D wellness” on Facebook. Not run by medics, but a lot of useful information, but go check with your GP.

ETA – I just had a quick scan on Amazon and most of the D3 specific supplements are 1,000 to 3,000 units. Here is the lower dose of the one I was taking, at 2,000. I will buy these in spring for a lower summer dose…. https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements/vitamin-d-3-2000-iu-softgels

or a lower dose still at 1,000 but with the vitamin K2 already added… https://www.nowfoods.com/supplements/vitamin-d-3-k-2-veg-capsules

jack
    Participant

Its far, far, far, far too low. You should be aiming for a level of 125. The stuff you get on prescription isnt worth taking. I take 10,000mgs currently and drop to 5000mgs in the summer. For me thats a maintenance dose. Most people need somewhere in the thousands daily though.

You need a decent oil based D3, magnesium and K2. With regards to B12 insist this is done and get a copy of the results. Under 500 is deficient no matter what your GP says and you need to be aiming for a level of 1000. Anything less than 500 and you really need to be pushing for injections to rectify it, but get the test and result first. Make sure your thyroid has been checked as well. Again, this runs hand in hand with vitamin D/B12 deficiency.

What were your levels of ferritin and folate?

evie
    Participant

Thanks all. My ferritin currently is 28 (never had a good score for that as had trouble in perimenopause), worst I’ve ever been 6 years ago was 8. But folate, B12 and thyroid all came in as fine.

Looking forward to the return of the sun!

Luke
    Participant

You need to get a print out of the blood test results and check. I was told my B12 was fine for 30yrs yet when I finally found out and looked back over my medical records it has always been an issue and never treated. Its meant most of my adult life I’ve never been properly well.

The sun in the UK is not enough to maintain vitamin D levels, so you will need to supplement permanently. The good thing about vitamin D is that you will see a noticeable difference pretty quickly

kal
    Participant

The NHS assessment of “normal range” and required dosage are very very underestimated.
    According to the knowledgable FB group Vitamin D Deficiency UK (https://www.facebook.com/groups/458769434286147/) the level you need to be able to function well is 125 nmol/l and a good MAINTENANCE (as opposed to increasing level) dose is over 5000iu, with the co-factors mentioned above.
    Worth joining that group if you are on FB, otherwise The Vitamin D Council in the USA

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.