This topic contains 12 replies, has 12 voices, and was last updated by  em 6 months, 4 weeks ago.

  • Author
  • #3355



    I’ve had to have one of my wisdom teeth removed (top left), just before Christmas! It was due to a crack in it and infection, so have got ABs for over christmas, but it took 2 and a bit hours for removal and I’m worried what my face will feel like after the anaesthetic has worn off.

    Does anyone have any hints or tips on what I can do to help it heal best?

  • #3358


    I see why you changed your profile picture too that now 😉

    Look after yourself and avoid eating too much in the way of sweet things – I’d tank yourself up on painkillers now before the local wears off.

  • #3359


    Seriously, get as many strong painkillers as you can from doctor or dentist today or tomorrow so you have them ready. My chest looked like someone had put their boot on it for leverage when the bruising came out, so it wasn’t just my face that hurt. Your post reads like you weren’t given anything for home use except antibiotics which obviously won’t directly help with any pain. If by any chance you can’t manage to get hold of POMs, then get strongest OTC ones after talking to a pharmacist. From my experience these would be best things to do. Sympathies OP. (My surgeon said he would not do mine just before Christmas due to the hamster effect, but obviously mine were not as urgent as your case)

  • #3360


    Get some oil of cloves and some of the baby teething gel, Anabesol?? Both brilliant anaesthetics. If the hole is big enough, plug with cotton wool soaked in oil of cloves. Don’t expect it to heal quickly, mine took two whole months.

  • #3361


    I’m probably not a good person to be commenting, as I had one out two weeks ago, and it’s been a bloody nightmare! I’ve got an oro-antral communication, where the roots of the tooth were so big that they encroached on the sinus above, so when it came out, it left a hole from my mouth into my sinus. Amusingly, every time I drink something, and let it swill round that side of my mouth, it comes out of my nose. Less amusingly, it causes a horrible taste in my mouth! I also have a dry socket, which causes a lot of pain all across my jaw, up my nose and across my cheekbones, so I’m still on 4 hourly painkillers. I managed my first solid food in two weeks yesterday!

    Hopefully, you will be luckier than me! Salt water rinses every hour, and Tesco extra power painkillers are what work for me. Icepacks and hot water bottles also very comforting.

    And if you’re getting it done under local anaesthetic, make sure they use numbing cream before they put the anaesthetic into the roof of your mouth. Palatal injections hurt like an absolute bitch! I swore at the dentist after the first one, which is most unlike me!

  • #3362


    Must be just me that had no problems then? I’ve had 2 – or possibly 3 – impacted wisdom teeth out at various times at hospital (once) or at the dentist (twice?) under local anaesthetic.

    I found it hugely amusing at the hospital where they were literally kneeling on my chest to pull the tooth out, the noise it made was pretty yuck though! I don’t recall much pain or swelling afterwards, has time dimmed my memory I wonder.

    They were very fussy about not removing mine unless strictly necessary as the nerves are all wound around the roots so they were worried I would lose sensation in my face, so I still have one (or maybe 2!) impacted ones lurking in there somewhere

  • #3363


    I had 4 out at once-and without sedation as I refuse GAs unless necessary. It tok 24 hours or so for the local to wear off and then it hurt but I was fine on OTC drugs. I felt lousy for about 3 days-like I’d been in a fight and then just a little discomfort around eating for a while.hope you heal quickly and it doesn’t impact on your Christmas too much.

  • #3364


    I had my last one out in October. I had a local but some valium as well, so I was happy while they did it, apart from the part where it broke up with the roots still in, but the dentist seemed happy enough, and I was rather relaxed I was relaxed enough that I actually asked the rather youthful looking dentist if he had ever done one before.

    I was soooo careful afterwards – success seems to revolve around not getting infected whilst also not disturbing the clot for fear of dry socket I did not eat at all that evening (to be fair was sleeping off large dose of valium – which is not something I am familiar with), just had sips of water.

    For 72 hours I had only tepid liquid food (soup and ready-brek), and swilled gently with salt water to clean.

    After that, until 7 days after removal I had only tepid semi-solid food such as mash, beans, scrambled egg. I also switched to Corsodyl to stop infection. I cleaned the other teeth but left that area alone.

    After that I was more normal, but did not chew any steaks etc.

    My efforts were rewarded by a strong clot that did not move, no infection so no horrid taste other than mildly for a day or two. Apart from some swelling and pain for a couple of days it has healed up well. I did have to take pain killers for that couple of days, but only standard Paracetamol I think. I don’t remember, but I looked online for the best painkiller, some are better than others.

  • #3365


    Thank you for your advice!

    It was tricky getting it because of my mouth conformation, rather than the tooth I think.

    I’m just a bit of a wimp about teeth and dental things, but the LA has now worn off and I’ve just started with some co-codamol.

  • #3366


    I had one removed, went home feeling sorry for myself, ate a family bag of lightly salted crisps and two of the six stitches went down with the crisps…
    A salt water mouth wash every few hours is good for healing.
    Good luck, you should be back in action well in time for Christmas lunch!

  • #3367

    Chris B

    I had mine out years ago and the GP signed me off for 2 weeks! I was delighted. I took careful note of the instructions from the hospital about rinsing – can’t remember if it was just salt water or bicarb, and my face swelled up as if I had been in a fight, but after 3 or 4 days of not doing much I resolutely kept rinsing and was able to go out and about and when I went out for the post op check the doctors were very pleased and said that I had obviously been careful.

  • #3368


    Disclaimer – I’m giving you advice based on the fact that I work as a dental nurse, so take the advice that was given by your dentists over mine.

    Poor you for having to have to go through a wisdom tooth extraction at this time of the year!

    The amount of pain that you have afterwards, will depend on the type of extraction that was done. You say that it took a long time due to your mouth conformation – this will hopefully mean that it wasn’t a full on surgical extraction where there were a lot of bone removal and drilling involved. In some cases the upper 8’s have roots which are fused together, which makes the extraction itself much more straight-forward – but having a small mouth could make it tricky to get the instruments in the desirable position.
    Avoid hot drinks for the 1st 24 hours after the extraction.
    When you do drink anything, it’s ideal if you could drink it through a straw.
    A weak solution of salt in luke-warm water is a good antiseptic mouthwash – but be careful not to vigorously rinse/gargle in the extraction area. Rather put some of the mouthwash in your mouth and tilt your head to one side so the area is bathed in the mouthwash for about a minute and then gently spit out. Corsodyl is an excellent post-surgical mouthwash – but again, be careful not to rinse out the blood clot if you choose to use this. (Plus don’t use it for more than 4 weeks at a time or else it will stain all you teeth black. Corsodyl Daily doesn’t contain the same strength of chlorhexidine digluconate so it won’t cause staining, but it’s not as ‘potent’ as Corsodyl.)
    As others have said, you want to preserve the blood clot which would have started forming already and at all costs try and avoid rinsing it out. The healing will take much longer if the blood clot comes out and there’s also a higher risk of getting the dreaded ‘dry socket’ if the blood clot does comes out (basically an infection inside the socket where the roots of the tooth used to be).
    Try to do all your eating on the other side of your mouth and tilt your head when drinking anything so the fluid doesn’t rinse over the socket. Pretty soon the socket will be healed up with healing tissue but it may still be tender to touch with your tongue, which is sometimes surprisingly hard to avoid doing.
    You’ll know whether you have a dry socket or not. It’s VERY painful and usually starts 3 – 4 days after the extraction.
    Analgesic-wise : the co-codamol will work well (that’s if you can cope with the side-effects – you may want to invest in some Fybogyl to help avoid constipation); you could combine paracetamol with the co-codamol and two hours later take anti-inflammatories e.g. ibuprofen, then again after 2 hours the co-codamol/paracetamol combination and keep repeating this process. However make sure you don’t exceed the maximum daily dosage of any of the meds and ensure that you’ve been able to take these medications in the past without any unwanted side-effects, not allergic to them, etc.
    If the dentist has put tiny haemostatic sponges inside the socket, then that will speed up the healing process a lot.
    If they’ve had to put stitches in, then they would have told you whether they’re the self-absorbable type or whether you need to go back in about 2 weeks to have them taken out.
    If you’ve got facial swelling then an ice-pack will help with this and to help sooth the area.
    They’ve possibly given you a few gauze swabs to take home in case you’ve got a bit of bleeding that won’t stop? If you have seeping bleeding, take one of those gauzes. roll it into a sausage, put it over the extraction area and keep it there for 20 minutes, then you can throw it away. If they haven’t given you gauzes, I’ve heard that tea bags works quite well and does the job nicely.
    If your own dental practice can’t see you if some sort of complication occurs, then there will be NHS after hours emergency dental clinic in your area where you can be seen. Their details will be on the NHS choices website, or ask your own dental practice for details of who to contact if any problems occur when they are shut.
    Mmm, I think that covers the basics. Please feel free if to ask if there’s anything else you’re thinking of.

  • #3369


    Do NOT take additional paracetamol with co-codamol!
    Co-codamol already contains paracetamol.

    I had 2 other teeth removed recently. The salt water rinses are vile, I can still taste it as I had to restart them after one of extraction sites became a bit ouzy.

    I was lucky in the fact that I managed to get by with minimal painkillers but do not expect to feel great for a couple of days. It will take weeks for the bruising/tenderness to subside.

    All the best with the healing process.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.