This topic contains 9 replies, has 10 voices, and was last updated by  fran 2 weeks, 3 days ago.

• Author

candy
    Participant

Has anyone else experienced this? Had a horrible experience a few nights back, fell asleep early as was completely exhausted. Was lying in bed looking at the window, didn’t think anything of it but suddenly thought I could see someone climbing through the closed window (small one too, a kid could possibly climb through at a push but it wouldn’t be graceful) I tried to sit up but couldn’t move or talk or even blink. The image was jumpy, then looked like a figure was standing by my bed completely black like a shadow just a basic outline and my door was open so plenty of light. Finally managed the blink then “woke up” and it was gone. Then realised I hadn’t been able to hear anything as I could hear the TV on in the other room and my mum confirmed I hadn’t made a sound and definitely nobody climbing through any windows.
    It’s freaked me out a little, I know it wasn’t real but I’m finding it hard to sleep now.
    I think the stress I’ve been dealing with the last few months have finally caught up…

amymay
    Participant

My Nan had the classic ‘black figure at end of bed’ one.
    It’s centuries old, there was even an exhibition at the Tate about it years ago, all the artists depicted the same imagery, so try not to worry. It’s a brain/subconscious thing, the same as why when people take certain drugs, they often ‘see’ the same things.
    I’ve had it before too…usually when hangovering. I see spiders and I think I’ve fallen out of bed (I haven’t) and can’t move.

dingbat
    Participant

Yep. Quite a lot. I get it worse if I nap in the daytime.
    I can remember a couple that were particularly bad- one that went on for over half an hour, which I only know because I heard a text arrive on my phone but was paralysed and being pulled in and out of sleep so couldn’t get to my phone. When in finally managed to wake up, the text had been sent over half an hour earlier.

I often see things moving around the room or feel like things are climbing on top of me. Mine becomes a struggle of me trying to wake up and not being able to move and then being sucked back to sleep, then awake and stuck again.

My friend has narcolepsy and suffers badly with this, she actually called a spiritualist in before she was diagnosed as she was convinced there was a ghost in her room!

redders
    Participant

The OH had it very badly, figure sitting on his chest, paralysis, feeling terrified. He fortunately seemed to grow out of it. He described how he tried to get my attention to break him out of it but couldn’t. Horrendous for him.

scarymary
    Participant

Sounds terrifying, I have had it once when I was asleep on my back with my arms above my head, I had hold of one wrist with my hand and the hand had gone numb but the wrist could feel, so I could feel someone had hold of my wrist but not that it was me, I could not move for a while then.

cam
    Participant

I have had two bouts of this in my life .
    The was when I was twenty I had returned to my parents after a relationship ended it was terrifying it was the classic huge black thing at the end of the bed and a terrible grinding noise I felt wide awake but could move my body .
    Looking back I was stressed and troubled ( I knew I has behaved badly )but I can still clearly remember the fear .
    I had a second bout after my accident I think this was drug induced and I could usually shake me self out of it that time .
    It’s very frightening and unsettling but it’s not unusual my first bout was before the days of goggle and I seriously considered that perhaps an evil entity was coming to punish me I was scared to sleep for months .
    OP it will pass perhaps try to spend a little time on relaxation and reflection before sleep .
    But it’s horrible have a big cyber hug .
    It’s a horrible thin

Jen
    Participant

I get this when I am stressed/over tired/in a new place etc. It’s hideous and doesn’t matter how much you try to rationalise it. I had a particularly bad week of it and was exhausted, went to the docs and got a short (3 day) course of sleeping pills to ‘re-set’ my sleep which really helps, that particular doctor had never heard of it and looked at me like I was a bit nuts but new doctor knows what it is and if I have a bad bout of them, she prescribes me a couple days of sleeping pills to get me back on track. I know loads of people don’t like to take pills, but for me it really helps.
    I also try when I am stressed to not nap in the day and keep up a good sleep pattern, which is really helpful x

SAFFY
    Participant

I used to suffer a lot from this especially if i fell asleep in the day time. That feeling of trying to move, trying to scream, get attention is treuly terrifying especailly when you feel there is something else there.
    Not very often I do suffer but by telling myself that what it is and trying t relax rather than fight it I see to be able to get myself out of it much faster these days x

lucy
    Participant

I used to a lot due to stress, could always hear something coming up the stairs and into my room.Only happens occasionally now but it’s horrible.

fran
    Participant

Besides Asperger’s, I also have Narcolepsy, and due to the later, I’ve experinced cataplexy several times. Fortunately I haven’t had many waken cataplexy experiences after that I started with Narcolepsy medication, however, even more fortunately for me, it never really bothered me when it did happen. But my lack of negative reaction to it, is not the common way to react to it.

For those who doesn’t know, cataplexy is a temporary paralysis which around 70% of Narcolepsy patients expierence. And your feelings after your sleep paralysis experience, is how most people reacts after having experienced cataplexy.

The cataplexy experiences I can remember the best from when I was a teenager, happened when I was too tired to wake up, and get out of bed some mornings. For example, it happened that I woke up and was paralysed, and I can recall that I at least in one of those occasions, tried to tell myself that the house was on fire, and that I had to get up to get out of the house. But my body still didn’t respond, and I realised that if the house really had been burning, I wouldn’t have been able to save myself.
    Various medical staff which I’ve talked to about this through the years, always seemed to expect that that should have freaked me out, but I felt that I was too tired to freak out. All I could do was go back to sleep, and hope that the paralysis was gone the next time I woke up. And hope that it never happened if the house really was on fire.

It also sometimes happened that I, in combination with being temporarily paralysed, became temporarily deaf. The first time it happened, I think I wondered about if I really had gone permanently deaf, and I recall that it was weird to see my mum’s mouth move, but not being able to hear anything. But same as above, all I could do was go back to sleep, and hope that things was back to normal when I woke up next time.
    Besides, upset feelings/strong emotions increase the risk for cataplexy to occur (at least if you have Narcolepsy), so if I had freaked out about it happening, I suppose that it could have led to it happenimg more often.

By the way, as I understand it, most people with Narcolepsy doesn’t dream as often as normal people dream, but when we do dream, it is usually very vivid nightmares. So vivid so that when you wake up, you can’t tell if you’ve dreamt it or if it really happened. And I must admit that sometimes when I’m in a period where I dream most nights, it doesn’t take long before I start to want to avoid going to bed, because I don’t want to have another vivid nightmare.

I’ve had to learn ways to try and tell if something has really happened, or if it was just a dream. The easiest way is that if I wake up and my dogs are asleep, I know that there isn’t a murderer/ghost/vampire/alien walking around in my house.
    Murderers, ghosts, vampires and aliens might sound like something which should be clues to that it was just a dream, but the trouble is that my nightmares usually starts with me dreaming that I wake up, puts on my glasses, gets out of bed, put on clothes etc, and everything feels exactly as real as when I actually do wake up. So when the bad things starts to happen, it is difficult to know that it isn’t real. Especially if you’re uncertain about if you’ve really woken up for real, or not. My record this far is dreaming that I woke up 7 (or was it 8) times in the same nightmare, and everytime I was convinced that this time, this time I really had woken up.

Anyhow, it isn’t easy to stay calm when you perhaps wake up with a heart that is beating frantically, because you think something bad is about to happen, and it is even worse when it happens in combination with a body which refuses to respond the way it normally does, but I hope that the replies on this thread gives you a bit of comfort.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.