geezer

active 2 days, 5 hours ago
active 2 days, 5 hours ago
  • There are UV wands that are supposed to kill germ on your keyboard, but I don’t know how effective they are.

    Nobody uses my desk at work when I’m away, so I don’t have that problem.

    At home, though, I got a completely blank keyboard and the kids really, really dislike it.

    I think the idea’s posted above are good. Set up your workspace how you like it, and preferably in a way that nobody else finds comfortable. A keyboard can be had really cheaply, like €12 or €15, mice, too, are not expensive.

  • geezer replied to the topic Best smart meters? in the forum General Chat 3 days, 10 hours ago

    Thanks all, case closed!

  • geezer replied to the topic Best smart meters? in the forum General Chat 4 days, 5 hours ago

    Thanks everyone for the information, it’s much appreciated. Good to get a bit of background knowledge of why they’re being implemented, and that the problems are being ironed out.

    I think I’ll hold off for now, and then next time they make the ‘offer’ I’ll double check it’s a SMETS-2 meter and take them up on it. Is there any possibility that in the future people will be charged to have them installed, and so we should jump at the chance now? It doesn’t sound like it, but just thought I’d ask! Thanks.

  • I was offered a smart meter from an energy company last year. I declined because I regularly change companies and there seemed to be compatability issues between meters/companies.

    I’ve now been offered it again (a bit more forcefully this time!), but have heard these are 2nd generation meters. Are they any better? Should I get one, or hold off longer? I regularly swap suppliers to stay on a good deal.

  • geezer replied to the topic Drawdown Pensions. in the forum General Chat 2 weeks, 5 days ago

    My plan was to take the maximum tax free sum out of my pension scheme, then drawdown just enough money to stay under the personal tax threshold each year out of the Remaining 75% Supplementing that money, by using money from my tax free lump sum as and when needed.

  • geezer replied to the topic Drawdown Pensions. in the forum General Chat 2 weeks, 5 days ago

    Our pension is the Electricity Supply Pension Scheme. As of late 2020, I’ll have been a member for 31 years. Leaving the scheme and taking a pension in 2020 won’t be enough to live on. I’ve already asked our pension people for those figures. Leaving the scheme and taking my pot/fund completely out of the ESPS, taking the 25% as a tax free lump sum and then invest the remaining 75% in a drawdown plan, may be a better option. Enabling me to finish working at 55.

  • geezer replied to the topic Drawdown Pensions. in the forum General Chat 2 weeks, 6 days ago

    LOL.

    Chill out people, I’m not about to withdraw all my pension and blow it on fast cars and loose women. I don’t have an advisor at the moment because I don’t need one yet, because I’m not in a position to do anything about my pension. When I’m in a position to do something, my next door neighbor who had his own company, and has done the same thing as I’m contemplating, will give me the name of the person he used, who he highly recommends, and I’ll seek advise off him.

    All I really wanted to know is, is the 75% left of my pot/fund taxable if I moved it to a drawdown scheme after taking the tax-free 25%.

  • geezer replied to the topic Drawdown Pensions. in the forum General Chat 2 weeks, 6 days ago

    Thank you. That’s the answer I’m looking for.

  • geezer replied to the topic Drawdown Pensions. in the forum General Chat 2 weeks, 6 days ago

    Thanks for the replies, the information is duly noted.

    I’m not 55 until late 2020, so in no hurry. But with both my Father and Grandfather dying of the same illness, both in their early 60’s taking some or all of my pension pot early, may be a better option for me and my family.

    As regards my final salary pension, I’m as far up in our company as I’ll ever want to be, so my retirement pension won’t increase. My “pot” is well into 6 figures, taking the money early could see me and my wife better off.

    Thanks again.

  • I’ll soon be 55 and at that time I will have 31 years in my company’s pension, which still is a final salary one. I’ve been considering early retirement for some time now and would like to use my pension “pot” to fund this. I’m not sure if our pension scheme allows for a drawdown pension.

    So my question is, if I take the 25% tax free lump sum, then transfer the remaining 75% into a drawdown plan, will the 75% be liable for tax. I’ve Googled it, but it’s a little unclear, as most answers assume you’re staying with the same pension provider whilst doing the above so won’t be taking the remaining 75% out of their scheme.

    Just to make it a little clearer. I want to take to whole of my “pot” out of my works pension. Take the 25% tax free sum, then invest the 75% in a drawdown scheme.…[Read more]